Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I separate the customers access for different projects?

Anas Magi July 12, 2021

I'm using the Jira Service Management and set up two projects under my account. I have also invited customers to the projects, however i am not able to segregate the customer access for different projects. The customer added in one project automatically appears in the other project as well. How do I separate the customers access for different projects? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2021

Hello @Anas Magi,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

In Jira Service Management, there are only two options when it comes to customer permissions. 

For customers to not be added automatically on all projects, it’s necessary to go to Project settings > Customer permissions (company-managed projects) or Project settings > Channels > Customer permissions (team-managed projects).

On this page, it’s necessary to change the “Service project access” to “Customers added by agents and admins” > Save. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 13.45.41.png

Once you change this setting, customers will be removed from the project if they weren't manually added previously by an admin/agent.

Hope this helps!

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Anas Magi July 13, 2021

Thanks for your response @Angélica Luz

I did take a look at the Customer permissions page and have update the settings as per your suggestions. 

So to test this out, I've added a dummy customer to only one of my projects and the other project has no customers at all. I'd expect that the dummy customer should be able to view only the project they were added to. However, this is not the case. When I access the help centre using the dummy customer account, both the projects are visible. 

Please guide me how only one project would be visible in the help centre for the customer? I wouldn't want to disclose all my projects to different customers that do not need to have visibility to those projects.  

Here is a screenshot of the help centre page:

Note: The two projects I am concerned about are: SenSights.AI Ticketing System and Safe2Work Ticketing System. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 1.42.19 PM.png

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2021

Thank you for the details and screenshots, Anas.

I believe you are using your administrator account on the portal and not the dummy customer account. I say this because the avatar on the top right is the same as your account here in community and also there is the option “Customize” on the right side and only admins can customize the portal.

Can you please use incognito mode to access the portal with the customer account? 

Like Anas Magi likes this
Anas Magi July 14, 2021

Thanks Angélica, your feedback was helpful. I didn't realize that I was using the same account to access the portal. Using the incognito mode helped. 

Regards,

Anas 

Anas Magi July 14, 2021

I still am facing the same issue. I've added the same organization to both the projects and then added a customer to only one of the project. The customer automatically gets added to the other project as well. I need the customer to be available only under the single project that I've added them in. Looks like JIRA replicates the customer under both projects automatically. 

How do I make sure that the customer remains in under a single project / organization and doesn't get replicated in the other project? 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2021

Isn’t that a side effect of the organisation? Same organisation so even if u add it once it becomes part of all?

if that’s correct behaviour I’m not sure..

Like # people like this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2021

Hi Anas,

It happens due to what Dirk mentioned.

When an organization is added to multiple projects, all customers that are under the org will also be added to the project. 

When adding a new customer to an organization that is shared between projects, this message appears:

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 09.36.33.png

With this said, it would be important to create organizations with different names on each project, otherwise, customers will be automatically added to the projects.

Like Anas Magi likes this
Anas Magi July 15, 2021

Thanks Angélica and Dirk. This helps!!

Yes, I figured that. I was hoping there would be an option to select the visibility of projects for each customer. However, at the moment we have differentiated the client organization name for each of the two projects, even though the client is same. 

Thanks again for you responses and support on this. Hoping there is a feature update in future to accommodate this. 

Regards,

Anas 

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2021

You are welcome! We are glad to help.

There is a feature request suggesting this ability:

- Allow Organizations to be restricted at a project level 

Please, click on vote and also watch to receive future updates from our product teams.

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events