How do I send notification after an issue has been in a status for two weeks?

Katie Schneider May 18, 2021

I need to send a notification to a certain user after an issue has been in a specific status for two weeks. I believe I can do this through automation rules but I am unsure what triggers etc. would be best and would like to see if someone else can share this information with me.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

Hi @Katie Schneider , what I would do here is use a Scheduled trigger that runs every day - to do this, you will need to use a CRON expression (configured within the trigger). E.g. a CRON expression of 0 0 8 * * ? will run the rule every day at 8am.

Then, also within the trigger, you can use a JQL which references the 'has been in a specific status for more than two weeks' part. E.g:

status = "In Progress" AND status changed to "In Progress" before -2w

... will find all issues that have been in the In Progress status for more than 2 weeks. Any subsequent actions within the rule will then run for each of the issues found in this JQL (e.g. send a Slack/Teams message or email for each issue that fit the criteria.

I would recommend ticking the "Only include issues that have changed since the last time this rule executed" tickbox, as otherwise users may receive a reminder every single day once the 2 weeks has finished.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any questions! 

Katie Schneider May 18, 2021

Awesome! Thanks, this was just what I needed.

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2021

Brilliant, no worries! Glad I could help

Ashraf B April 11, 2022

Hi @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_,

I am working on the same lines with a slightly different objective.

I intend to send a message to customers (As "Comments" or as an Email) seeking their attention to Issues that are at "Waiting for customer" status since more than 7 days or more.

Please let me know if this JQL is good:

Project = <Project> AND Status = "Waiting for Customer" AND Status Changed to "Waiting for Customer" Before -7d

Will this return records that are at "Waiting for Customer" status for seven days or more?

Further, I understand I can schedule it using "Basic" scheduler. Do we need Advanced (CRON expression) specifically?

Please respond whenever convenient.

Best regards,

Ashraf B

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders