Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make custom fields appear by default in Incident tickets?

Steve G February 2, 2022

Dear all,

* I have created some custom fields, such as:

1) "Insight Discovery object"

2) "Change caused?"

* After a user submits a ticket via the web portal, the custom field doesn't appear by default in the ticket

* This means that I have to click the 'Edit' button on the incident ticket, and then select custom field in the pop up window that appears

* Is it possible to configure Jira so that the 2 fields I describe appear in the Jira ticket by default?

* I ask since if they are visible, this will act as a prompt to action a more timely population of these fields when it is appropriate to do so

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

1 answer

0 votes
Madalina Mutihac February 3, 2022

Hi, you'll want to add the custom fields to the "create issue" screen associated to your issue type. It sounds like the fields are only on the view/edit screens at the moment.

This is something a jira project admin for your project can help with if you don't have the permissions to do it yourself. 

Steve G February 23, 2022

Hi Madalina,

Thanks for your construcive reply.

* This already works when I or a colleague uses the option to Create a ticket

* However, what I now see I didn't make sufficiently clear, is that most of our tickets are logged by users via a web portal

* In other words, they log the ticket through a page on the intranet

* The challenge I have is that tickets logged in via the web portal don't display a field for 'Insight Object' without me or a colleague editing the logged ticket and then adding the Insight Object

* If you or anyone else is able to suggest a way forward on this, that would be marvellous

Regards,

Steve

Madalina Mutihac February 27, 2022

Hi Steve,

I see! Is the project a Jira Service Management one, with a customer portal connected to it? If yes, the fields you need can be added to the form of the Request Type used to enter the ticket through (Request Types area of the project configuration).

Reference: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicemanagementserver/setting-up-request-types-939926357.html 

If the portal you refer to is in a different system (Confluence for instance, or through issue collectors), then whoever can edit that page should be able to update the form to include those fields. 

Reference: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-the-issue-collector/

Steve G February 28, 2022

Hi @Madalina Mutihac 

Thanks for your constructive reply.

* I had considered adding the Insight Object field to the portal before

* However, I was unconvinced of doing so, as I in most ticket, there won't be a requirement to add an Insight object to the ticket

* Your reply though has pointed out to me that the answer was staring me in the face; add the Insight Object field as a hidden field

* This what I am trying

Thanks again.

Regards,

Steve

Like Madalina Mutihac likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events