Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I design workflows for multiple sub-workers/teams?

Ted Cohn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 22, 2021

I'm not new to JIRA but am new to workflows. I want to design a workflow where a customer submits a request, then three teams pick up the project to work on their portion of the project. When all teams are done with their portion, I want the state to transition to Review state where the customer can review the deliverable and approve or reject. If reject, want the team who needs to handle the rejection take it and update, then return to Review state, etc. Is this possible and how?

1 answer

0 votes
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2021

Hello @Ted Cohn 

This is possible using Automation and Workflow in the below manner:

1. Set up automation to create either Sub-Tasks for the 3 teams.
  2. When the 3 Sub-Tasks are DONE, another Automation can move the Parent issue into Review State and Assign it to the required person.
  3. The workflow can be configured for Approval/ Rejection at this stage.
    1. If Approved, it goes to Close
    2. If Rejected, we will need to define a stage from where we will be need to reopen the appropriate Sub-Task. This is because, while rejecting we are unable to provide any comments. We take it back to In Progress state but still will need the user (who has rejected) to provide some detail on the reason.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have further questions.

Ted Cohn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 23, 2021

@GauravThank you. Agree, we do need to receive rejection comments somehow from the client as to what needs to be fixed. Don't Issues have ongoing comment threads?

It may get complicated if the client rejects any of three aspects that require rework with different people.

Would it be simpler to enlist someone to assign tasks?

Serializing would be simpler, but much slower, potentially with three approval stages in this case.

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2021

Hello @Ted Cohn 

The issues do have ongoing comments, which can be utilized to capture the comments from the approver.

In order to simplify, I would suggest, the ticket to be reassigned to the original assignee and the assignee to review the comments and then take appropriate actions.

Let me know if this helps or if you have further questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events