Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I automate 3 scheduled emails (different wording each time) to a reporter?

Micky Semere April 12, 2023

Hi, please help!

When a new issue comes through about an overdue piece of kit with the subject line 'overdue kit' I manually tag it as overdue kit in request type and add a label e.g Label A. Then I add the email of the person who still has the overdue kit to reporter.....At this point i'd like to have an automated 1st email sent to them as soon as its labelled e.g  'label a'... a friendly 1st email with wording reminding them to send it kit back . if they dont respond in 4 days time I'd like it so that they get another scheduled a second email with wording thats different (sense of urgency).. 4 days later still no response id like them to get one last 3rd email with final warning of sorts....so 3 scheduled emails total to go out until i either get a response from them at which point i would want them to get no more emails or the tickets resolved because they sent the kit back.

What rule/trigger/condition can i use.. can someone assist me mapping out the flow of this automation for the process i described? i'm a beginner with automation. Any tips on what else i can automate in that process described aswell would be useful. thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

Hello @Micky Semere 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

You can probably automate the setting of the Request Type and the addition of the Label.

How do you know what email to add to the Reporter field? Is that information available somewhere in the issue already, or do you have to look that up somewhere else?

You said after you add the Label then you "add the email of the person... to reporter". The Reporter field should already have a value when the issue is created. Are you "adding" or "changing" the value of the Reporter field?

Micky Semere April 12, 2023

Adding the email to the reporter field from own device management system. Its not on issue. @Trudyclaspill

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

To whom do you want the email sent? Is that person in one of the User Picker fields in the Jira issue?

How do you decide that a response has been received? Would you be looking for a comment from one of the Users involved with the issue? Would you be looking at the issue having been changed to a particular status?

When does the response time period check start? Is that # days from the date the issue was created?

You will need multiple rules to cover all your scenarios.

Scenario 1: Send email right after specified value is added to Labels field

Scenario 2: Send email if no response received after 4 days

Scenario 3: Send email if no response received after 8 days

There would be additional rules for automating setting the Request Type and adding the Label.

Micky Semere April 13, 2023

To whom do you want the email sent? Is that person in one of the User Picker fields in the Jira issue? I'd want it sent to a customer. I have to add their email to customer list first(send them invite) then go back to the issue and then their email appears in drop down in reporter once pasted in/searched for.

How do you decide that a response has been received? Would you be looking for a comment from one of the Users involved with the issue?  yes a comment 

Would you be looking at the issue having been changed to a particular status? Yes. once they have responded it will change from the status 'waiting for customer response' to 'waiting for support response' to notify me that they have responded and I have to then take action.

When does the response time period check start? Is that # days from the date the issue was created? not sure what you meant by this? id want it automated from day1 creation as soon as i put customer info on the ticket, label info and /reporter (email info). Day 12 id then want a notification to myself saying no response if they still haven't commented. An automatic status change to something like 'send letter'. Id want to be notified somehow to take action on day 12.

I hope I'm making sense. thanks for your help as well, its much appreciated. Please advise further. micky

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

To whom do you want the email sent? Is that person in one of the User Picker fields in the Jira issue? I'd want it sent to a customer. I have to add their email to customer list first(send them invite) then go back to the issue and then their email appears in drop down in reporter once pasted in/searched for.

Based on the above statement you are manually changing the Reporter field to another user (the customer). So the emails can't be sent until you have made that update and the Label field and Request Type have been updated. Correct?

When does the response time period check start? Is that # days from the date the issue was created? not sure what you meant by this? id want it automated from day1 creation as soon as i put customer info on the ticket, label info and /reporter (email info).

Do you always get the updates done on the same day the ticket is created? Or might that happen some number of days later?

Day 12 id then want a notification to myself saying no response if they still haven't commented. An automatic status change to something like 'send letter'. Id want to be notified somehow to take action on day 12.

From your original post you said:

Day 1 - send an email to the Reporter

Day 4 - if no response received (issue is not in Waiting for Support status) and issue is not resolved, send another message to the Reporter. 

Day 8 - if no response received (issue is not in Waiting for Support status) and issue is not resolved, send another message to the Reporter

Day 12 sending an email to you is a requirement you had not previously mentioned. If no response received (issue is not in Waiting for Support status) and issue is not resolved, send a message to you. Is sending the message to you going to be hard coded, or are you in another User Picker field in the issue (like Assignee) or is there a defined User Group that should receive this message.

----

This would be the automation for setting the Labels and Request Type for a newly created issue that has "overdue kit" in the Summary field.

Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 9.03.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-13 at 9.04.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-13 at 9.05.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-13 at 9.06.19 AM.png

Micky Semere April 13, 2023

Based on the above statement you are manually changing the Reporter field to another user (the customer). So the emails can't be sent until you have made that update and the Label field and Request Type have been updated. Correct?  Yes that's right

Is sending the message to you going to be hard coded, or are you in another User Picker field in the issue (like Assignee) or is there a defined User Group that should receive this message.

I'd ideally like notification sent to assignee for the issue. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2023

Do you ever change the Reporter field for any other reason, while the Label and Request Type are set? If not then you could use a rule like this for Scenario 1 to send your email:

TRIGGER: Field Value Changed
Field to Monitor: Reporter
CONDITION: Issue Field Condition
Field: Request Type
Condition: equals
Value: <your specified request type>
CONDITION: Issue Field Condition
Field: Labels
Condition: contains any of
Value: <your Label value>
ACTION: Send email
To: select Reporter
Summary: specify your summary content
Content: specify your message content

For Scenarios 2 and 3 you would use rules that use the Schedule trigger.

TRIGGER: Schedule
set it to run daily
JQL: requestType=<your request type> and Labels in (<your Label value>) and status!="Waiting for Support" and statusCategory != Done and not status changed after startofday(-4)
ACTION: Send email

For Scenario 3 you would change the value at the end of the JQL from -4 to -8.

For Scenario 4 (12 days with no response) use the above rule and change the final value in the JQL to -12. You could also add another ACTION to transition the issue to a different status if you wished.

Note that those calculation of days with no response will be calendar days, not business days.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2023

Hello @Micky Semere 

Have you been able to implement the automation rules above to solve your needs? If so, please consider marking the Answer as Accepted to help other users find posts with validated solutions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events