How can you align a mailbox (email address) to a request type within a project

Chris Miros January 19, 2023

Hi I have a project that has multiple request types, and I would like to be able to have an email address per issue type, so that one email would be for example defects, another email address would be for change requests.  I can kind of create this function using Mail Handlers, and it works when the email comes from an internal email account (i.e  someone with a JIra Account) however if an external address comes in, then it will assign a default user account only, which means when an update is made to the ticket, the update is emailed to the default user rather than the raisers email address. 

1 answer

0 votes
Teresa_DevSamurai
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

Hi

There are several ways to align a mailbox to a request type within a project in Jira. One way is to use Mail Handlers, which allows you to configure a different email address for each request type, but it will assign to a default user account when an external email is sent.

Another way is to use Custom Fields, which requires that an "Email Address" field be filled out when creating an issue of that request type. Additionally, you can use a Script Runner, a third-party plugin or consult with Jira administrator or developer to find the best solution for your organization based on the specific requirements and configurations of your Jira instance.

I hope this information is helpful to you

Chris Miros January 19, 2023

when the default user is used for an externally created issue, the email address is captured in the description field, if there was some automated way to have this address added to the watcher field so that they then received the updates this would work. can Script Runner do ths?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events