Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we determine what is causing blank comments on Jira tickets?

vinnie.vertongen January 6, 2022

Hi all, 

We are facing an issue that is filling our replies on Jira...

We have noticed that there are sometimes blank comments with blank images attatched to our tickets. These comments come from multiple email addresses and isn't isolated to one address causing the issue, which made us realise it may be a Jira setting we have in place.. 

This commonly occurs when we have a shared email account added as the reporter, assignee or as a request participant. 

Currently we have checked the automation on our project and this doesn't seem to affect this issue. Also, we have checked the email accounts to see if there was any settings there, and it also seems to not be the issue. 

Any assistance would be much appreciated and if I can supply any further information I am happy to do so. 

Thanks,

Vinnie 

F43DACF1-084F-48C4-909D-F497DFB67E3C_1_201_a.jpeg

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
vinnie.vertongen January 9, 2022

Seems as thought this is a known issue with Jira https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-42228. Thanks for the help.

2 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

@vinnie.vertongen 

Welcome to the community.  Did you know which users (the one that you blackout) associated to those comments in your image?  In JSM, issue commenting can only come from issue reporter (customers via the portal), JSM Agents, JSM project's Administrators/Service Desk Team roles members (one with agent licenses), or possible accounts associated with custom process (i.e. Actor for automation rule executions), or something customized via WF post functions.

Please provide more information, so I can answer your ask better.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the reply.

All of the email addresses that are replying this on tickets are shared email addresses owned by our company. 

These comments are automatic and aren't posted by an individual.

There are no automations that touch on replying to a ticket ruling out automations I believe. 

I may have to investigate the workflow as you have said. 

Do you require the email addresses?

Many thanks,

Vinnie 

0 votes
Korijn Schrijver January 13, 2022

Same issues here.

Comment from customer (requested participant) is added to the issue as expected. 
But no text, just a blank comment

blank.png
Email is connected directly, no forward rule implemented on the receiving address.

Korijn Schrijver January 13, 2022

Also, the sending customer sends their e-mails out of their own Jira deployment.

E-mails are correctly readable in Outlook. 

Within Jira, the comments result blank.

0 votes
Yatika Manchanda
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

Hi @vinnie.vertongen 

Does your shared email account has a user with appropriate permissions and project roles assigned to in JSM?

Hi @Yatika Manchanda ,

I will have to ask one of the operations guys to check the exact permissions for those email accounts on JSM and will get back to you. 

Thanks,

Vinnie

Like Yatika Manchanda likes this
vinnie.vertongen January 9, 2022

@Yatika Manchanda 

The account doesn't have any permissions it's being used as the notification email.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events