Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How can external users create Jira issues and receive notifications via email?

Edited

Hello, 

I am trying to share one specific Jira Project related Issues with external users. I would like them to create issues , receive updates via email ( even-though they are not the reporters). Is there a way to do that without purchasing an add on? Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes

@Elif Alverson -

If your project is a JSM project, then user (customers - Free no licenses needed) can create issues in your JSM project via the portal.  You can configure the customer permissions via each project's "Customer Permissions" UI (found under Project settings)

2022-09-01_10-56-45.png

For non-issue reporter users, he/she needs to added as requested participant on the issue to get system notifications.

However, if you are referring to Jira Software project, then by default a user needs to be licensed.  t's feasible to create an issue via email for non-jira users. For this you need to set Default Reporter in Mail Handler.  Take a look at this reference link - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-email-in-jira-applications/

NOTE - the default reporter has to be a valid licensed user.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

@Joseph Chung Yin , thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately I do not have a consistent customer email list. Any suggestions?

Can you clarify on your statement of "do not have a consistent customer email list"?

Best, Joseph

If I understand correctly, I need to add the customer's email address for them to create service desk tickets. If so, I do not have an email list to add in channels & people/ customers section. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

An unofficial way to monitor a JSM mail handler for errors

...eturns true if any content is returned for the webResponse.body.data.first s...

668 views 3 20
Read article

Atlassian Community Events