How can external users create Jira issues and receive notifications via email?

Elif Alverson September 1, 2022

Hello, 

I am trying to share one specific Jira Project related Issues with external users. I would like them to create issues , receive updates via email ( even-though they are not the reporters). Is there a way to do that without purchasing an add on? Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

@Elif Alverson -

If your project is a JSM project, then user (customers - Free no licenses needed) can create issues in your JSM project via the portal.  You can configure the customer permissions via each project's "Customer Permissions" UI (found under Project settings)

2022-09-01_10-56-45.png

For non-issue reporter users, he/she needs to added as requested participant on the issue to get system notifications.

However, if you are referring to Jira Software project, then by default a user needs to be licensed.  t's feasible to create an issue via email for non-jira users. For this you need to set Default Reporter in Mail Handler.  Take a look at this reference link - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-email-in-jira-applications/

NOTE - the default reporter has to be a valid licensed user.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Elif Alverson September 1, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin , thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately I do not have a consistent customer email list. Any suggestions?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Can you clarify on your statement of "do not have a consistent customer email list"?

Best, Joseph

Elif Alverson September 2, 2022

If I understand correctly, I need to add the customer's email address for them to create service desk tickets. If so, I do not have an email list to add in channels & people/ customers section. 

Yi Yang January 8, 2024

@Joseph Chung Yin thank you for your answer. If I couldn't find "Customer Permissions" UI under my Project setting, how should I proceed? I just started using Jira Software with the free version. 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2024

@Yi Yang -

It seems you are using a "Team Managed" typed project.  In "Team Managed" JSM project, you need to access Project settings >> Channels >> Customer permissions.

On the other hand in a "Company Managed" typed project, you can access "Customers permissions" directly from "Project settings" 

Hope this helps.  If it does, please remember to click "Accept answer" when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Like Yi Yang likes this
Yi Yang January 8, 2024

@Joseph Chung Yin 

Thank you for the quick response.

I have checked my project and it seems it's already a "Company Managed" typed project but I couldn't find the "Channels" option or the "Customer Permissions" option. There is only a "Permission" option.Capture_0108.PNG

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2024

@Yi Yang -

Thanks for your image update.  You posted your ask in a discussion for JSM and not for Jira Software Application project.  Therefore, my original response to the original ask was for JSM.

What is your exact intention on permission?  In Jira Software Application, all users for the project must be licenses, thus there are no concept of Customers access, thus there is not a special call out to "Customer permissions" setup.  If you access "Permissions" via Project settings, you will see the permission scheme configuration for the project.  By default - it is focusing on the project role assignment of Administrators, Developers, and Users role.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Yi Yang January 8, 2024

@Joseph Chung Yin 

Thanks for the information, I guess was a little confused about the JSM and Jira Software platform.

The intention of my practice is to create, log, and track our software issues/ backlogs and also allow sharing the issues/ backlogs to external users (who might not have Jira license) or even share the project as a whole so the external users can see the status of the project development progress as well.

I started with the Jira Software free version, now I'm a little unsure whether I should switch to JSM instead or I need to upgrade the Jira Software plan.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2024

@Yi Yang -

For Jira Software Application, all users must be licensed.  On the other hand JSM, customers (Free) will submit/access his/her issues through the portal UI, and only agents (who are handling those issues requests are required paid licenses).

Of course site admin/Jira admins need to be licensed.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events