How can I trigger automation only on public comments?

Stephen Solomon May 26, 2021

I'm trying to set up automation that occurs when a public comment is made by our service agents. But unfortunately, the trigger "When: Issue Commented" doesn't have a setting to make it care what kind of comment was placed.

I also don't see a condition that might work. For instance if I have a condition in that sees if a public comment is present, I don't think it's going to care when that comment was made and it will still trigger if an internal comment is made and a previous public comment is present.

2 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

I assume you are using Automation for Jira. In that case you might try to use Smart Values and {{comment.internal}}. This should look something like that

automation_002.png

Hope it helps

Stephen Solomon May 26, 2021

Will the comment.internal statement only check against the comment that triggered the event? It seems like past comments would break this.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2021

Not sure if I understand your question. You basically trigger an automation "when issue is commented" not in old/past comments. Just with JQL and the smart value you are filtering on which tickets you are "listening" for comments.

Stephen Solomon May 27, 2021

Got this working with the "if comment.internal is false" function. Thank you Mirek and Joseph!

Like Mirek likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2021

@Stephen Solomon -

What @Mirek is correct.  It will fire when a new comment is added (for that event).  It is not going to check for past comment.  It will only focus on the comment event on hand.

In the classic automation out of the box, you can create the same trigger event for issue commented, then add the if conditions -

2021-05-26_15-13-06.png

2021-05-26_15-13-19.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2021

@Stephen Solomon -

Excellent that it is working for you.  If you can,, can you click on "Accept Answer" associated to my posting.

Best, Joseph

Marc Isikoff November 6, 2023

Does not work for setting an SLA (or even a custom date/time field) under this.

You can only give calendar dates, not {{now}} (smartvalues) AND this is Legacy Automation which is being deprecated (or has already)

We need a solution that works under Automation for Jira.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events