Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I set internal users (on our domain) as customers only on a service project? Not as agents?

Joanna August 17, 2022

Currently we have 2 helpdesks set up, one for external customers and one for internal employees. Right now, internal employees are automatically added to Service Desk when they are added to Jira software product. The two are dependent. Each new internal user is then added to the default group in Service Management 'service-agents' and it appears that they can view all tickets for the project.

How can set up our internal Jira users (on our domain) as customers only for this project, not agents? I do not want them to access other employees tickets or the project. 

Also, does this mean we are billed for every employee who has access (even those that are only "customers"? There are truly only 5 agents managing the tickets, but it looks like every employee who has access to Jira i being counted as an agent.

1 answer

1 vote
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2022

Hi @Joanna 

Right now, internal employees are automatically added to Service Desk when they are added to Jira software product. The two are dependent. Each new internal user is then added to the default group in Service Management 'service-agents' and it appears that they can view all tickets for the project.

Also, does this mean we are billed for every employee who has access (even those that are only "customers"?

It sounds like the service-agents group is set as the Default Access Group for Jira Service Management, and the New users have access to this product setting has been enabled. That means new users are being added to that group automatically, and yes, users with product access to Jira Service Management are licensed as "JSM agents" and are billable.

How can set up our internal Jira users (on our domain) as customers only for this project, not agents? I do not want them to access other employees tickets or the project. 

Take a look through these Atlassian docs to help understand how to configure portal only access for internal/external customers.

Here's some key things you'll want to verify:

• Using the documentation I linked above verify/correct the settings in these locations
    • Project settings --> Customer permissions
    • Settings --> Products --> Customer access
    • Project settings --> Permissions (Ensure Browse Projects isn't granted to "Any logged in user" or other default user groups.)
  • In Project settings > People, only agents or other users who need access to view the project/issues should be added here. Remove all the internal customers from the People page (likely need to remove them from the service-agents group first or also).
  • Click "Customers" in the project sidebar, your internal/external customers should be visible here.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events