Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I re-open a resolved support case if the originator replies to the case?

Oliver Hall November 18, 2021

Hi,

Thanks to the positive community response to my question yesterday, I'm going to chance my arm at another...

We are on the FREE plan.

In Service Management, when I close a case (Cancelled/Resolved) it disappears from my current cases view.  However, if an external customer then emails a reply back into that case, I'd like the case to automatically transition to an open state (IN PROGRESS, REOPENED or such) so that it re-appears in our active case list.

I've tried setting up an automation rule to transition a case when a new comment is added by the originator, but I can't get it to work - it either doesn't trigger, or it triggers on EVERY comment, regardless of who does the commenting, which results in cases that can't be closed ;-)

Does anyone have the solution?

Many thanks,

Oliver

This is my latest attempt at the rule...

image.png

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

Hi @Oliver Hall ,

a couple of things to get us started here. First thing to do is to look at the rule logs and see what it is telling you. You might also consider using the log action to record the value of certain fields like comment by as that often helps in troubleshooting. The other thing is that I don’t thing you want/need display name. Just check to see if commented by = reporter. Finally, click on the Library tab in Automation as there may be a predefined rule for this.

You mean like this one ;-)

image.png

Thank you!!  I didn't realise there was a library.

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

@Oliver Hall 

One other thing you need to check is the WF associated with your issue, there has to be a transition setup where - From "Resolved" back to "In Progress".  If there are no transition setup, then your automation will failed.

NOTE - In the transition, you will also need to clear the Resolution field value via post-function call.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Thanks Joseph,

The rule was actually too aggressive - like I mentioned in the original post, the rule would transition back to IN PROGRESS even when I was trying to resolve a case myself.

I've added the library rule which appears to do exactly what I want and we'll see how it goes from there :)

All the best,

Oliver

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events