Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get issue status to change after customer comments or replies via email

Jack Howard August 25, 2021

I am 99% sure this happened originally on the default workflow etc, but various edits to work flows and screen schemes must have kicked it off.

I want to get the status of an issue to automatically revert back to 'waiting for support' when the customer replies or comments on an issue. 

Currently, you reply to a customer, and then have to change the status... 2 jobs! It is minimal extra work but sometimes it gets forgotten, and also the customer gets two notifications - 1 for comment and 1 for status change, which can be a bit confusing for them. Some of my team have been visiting each ticket to check for a comment from the customer, because the status has not changed!

Surely I can get it to do this without an automation? 

2 answers

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

Hi @Jack Howard ,

Believe it or not but this is actually an out of the box (legacy) automation rule. So perhaps those are disabled or you cleaned them ?

Can you check under your automation rules (possibly under legacy automation) that there is no such rule disable?

In my out of the box instance this is the following:

image.png

If not, I can provide you with the details of the rule.

edit: as Jack mentions, changes to your workflow could be preventing this transtion from happening right now with the current settings.

Jack Howard August 26, 2021

Thanks @Jack Brickey @Dirk Ronsmans I found this in Legacy Automation, not been in there before!

I found that it was erroring on the 'if issue matches....' and also on the 'then transition to...' steps.

Going to take some working out but will have to rebuild!

Thanks again

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2021

Well it used to be called just ‘Automation’ but then they added the now ‘Automation’ and renamed the old one to legacy automation. 

If you are stuck on the rewrite feel free to reach out again!

Jack Howard August 27, 2021

Thanks @Dirk Ronsmans 

I have successfully done the rewrite, except now it shows in the activity history on each issue, that a user has made this change. Is that normal? 

I have gone to options, 'run rule as', and then selected user who triggered rule. 

I'm sure this wasn't how it ran before... I may be wrong. 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2021

Hey @Jack Howard ,

thats all normal. A rule will always execute as a user. Either you can specify a user or like you did set it as the user who performed the action that triggered the rule. 

Like Jack Howard likes this
1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

In fact Automation is precisely what makes this work in JSM. Please inspect your current rules especially under Legacy Automation for an existing rule. Given your point about previously working I suspect the workflow changes may have broken the rule.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events