Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I add request participants without having to create the user each time?

Bill Cronin January 7, 2021

As a Service Desk Agent, I want to be able to quickly add a request participant to an existing ticket by entering their email into the Request Participants field without having to go and create a user every time. How do I do this?

For example, a user creates a ticket. I realize I need to copy in 3 people that are not currently users. I want to paste their emails into the Request Participants field and have the add these emails to future communication. How can I do this without having to create a new user every time? I can do this from the customer portal, so why can an agent do this from inside JIRA?

6 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2021

hi @Bill Cronin 

it does seem the same functionality from the portal just doesn't exist in the agent side.

perhaps consider raising it as a suggestion here: https://jira.atlassian.com/issues/?filter=98705

There are workarounds you can implement with apps such as Jira email this issue where you can use a custom field to store a list of email addresses and then use that custom field in the to/cc of an email template.

It depends on how annoying you find adding these users manually (or using the "open the request on portal" and adding the email addresses there) and how much you wish to invest (both financially and effort wise) to resolve this / make this easier to do

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2021
MahanthPrudhvi July 6, 2022

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans ,

Even I have same requirement. Is there any update on this issue or any other option to achieve it?

Thanks,

Mahanth

1 vote
Answer accepted
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2021

HI @Bill Cronin ...You can do this by using the built in automation. 

First create a rule where it's trigger by a newly created issue and then set an action to add those 3 people for every issue to the request participants.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but this is not the problem I'm trying to solve. The users are unique for each ticket and the emails are not known. I want to be able to add any unique email address on demand from the JIRA Service Desk ticket screen in the Request Participants field without having to create each one as users. Assume the email addresses are unique each time they are added.

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2021

You can share the issue by e-mail with the share function on the upper right corner of the page. However, this can't be done from inside Jira. It is design to search for users to select.

Thanks, @Benjamin I just don't understand why this functionality exists in the portal but not the agent side.

Like Ann Lynnworth likes this
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2021

From my observation, it is design to share with users internally, therefore users are usually already added and the agent searches for whom to share the ticket with. Externally, customers users are not already populated in the system, so the only way to share is with e-mail or agent manually enters them.

0 votes
Emily Wood May 7, 2023

Hi @Bill Cronin I wish I could do this too! Our users are all external, and often not already added as customers. We also predominantly use the email link into Jira, and not the customer portal as our user-base is unfamiliar with Jira and will have further issues if they have to check a whole different portal.

Other than @Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_ 's suggestion above (using the portal view to quickly add people via the 'Share' option) the only other way I have found to work around adding people one-by-one is through sending/forwarding an email directly to our Jira SM project with the target participants added in the email 'to' or 'CC' field. (Of course, this is only helpful if you have an email that makes sense to send/forward through! If you're creating a ticket in Jira or adding participants to an existing issue, I don't know of a quicker way 😖

0 votes
Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 14, 2022

As an agent you can click on "View issue in portal" 

view in portal.png

In the portal view you can invite others by email

share with.png

0 votes
MahanthPrudhvi July 4, 2022

Hi @Bill Cronin 

Did you find any solution for this issue?

Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 14, 2022
0 votes
Iresh Rupasinghe January 7, 2021

Need some scripting help to do that, I did the same thing it was success. 

You can get senders email address using following code:

//Get email sender to print
def reporterEmail = ""
final List<String> senders = MailUtils.getSenders(message);
for (final String emailAddress : senders)
{
reporterEmail = emailAddress
log.info("Sender Email : " + reporterEmail)
}

After that you can set respective custom field.

Thanks, but this is not the problem I'm trying to solve. I want to be able to add any unique email address on demand from the JIRA Service Desk ticket screen in the Request Participants field without having to create each one as users.

Like # people like this
Renaldo Vilonel November 7, 2023

@Bill Cronin did you ever resolve this issue?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events