Hide custom field in request form but show it in issue view in portal

Nick Louwers September 13, 2022

Hi,

We're currently setting up our JIRA Service Management portal for our clients.

For feature requests we want to add a custom field, named: 'Estimation in hours'. The field should not be shown to the client during the request in the form. It's filled in by the agents after a while. After it's filled in by the agents it should appear in the client portal on the ticket.

Problem is I can add it to the issue view, then the client isn't able to fill it in during the request, but it's also not showing in the portal issue view.

Is there a way / work around to solve this?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Nick

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

Hi @Nick Louwers - The only way to make a field visible to the customer is to use the Forms feature.  You can create a custom form and have the field linked to your Estimation in Hours field.  Then you would train your agents to attach the form and submit it.  The form can then be locked and published, granting the customer visibility.

Note - You can also leverage automation to attach the form at the right time signaling the agent to fill it out and submit.

Nick Louwers September 13, 2022

Thanks for the input Mark. I've found another solution via an add-on named: 'Advanced Portal Reports'. It allows you to show all fields on the portal issue view. I also saw a feature request at the JIRA support forum with lots of votes.

Ross D Webster-Salter January 18, 2024

Hi Nick, can you share the link to the jira support area, would like to throw in my vote.

We're not allowed to use plugins in our org. and having something like this is quite critical for showing a summary (we have a series of forms and I want to show key outcomes of these forms at the top of the ticket).

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events