cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with project automation

Support team April 27, 2022

Hi
Use case:

• When a client responds to a closed issue, create a new linked issue with the last comment as a description, and the reporter set to either the comment author or the original issue reporter

Problem:

• Whatever I try "Automation for jira" is being set as the new issue reporter
  • The reporter cannot be then edited

Clone issue, smart values or copy value does not work. Every time the "Automation for jira" reporter is being set. This poses an issue, as I don't want agents to engage clients in closed cases due to the SLA concerns. 

Here is my setup:

2022-04-27 12_35_16-Window.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

Hi @Support team -- welcome to the Atlassian Community,

by default the actor of an automation rule is the addon-user "Automation for jira" which means the actions will be processed with this user (eg. commenting, creating issue, reporter, etc...). This can be set in the automation rule details. This can also be set to "User who triggered the rule" (see screenshot) --> keep in mind that the needs sufficient rights to run the automation rule.

image.png

Hope this helps and solves your problem.

Best
Stefan

Support team April 28, 2022

I'm not sure if we are aligned on this topic or I'm missing something :) Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood your message, but what I want to achieve is to put in the Reporter field a customer (not an internal user) who issued the original issue, so that in the new issue the outgoing communication is reaching that customer.

My layman's understanding is, that the Clone method should do the trick and set the requester up as in the original issue, but even that fails. In both Create issue and Clone I get info as if the system could not read the reporter correctly:
2022-04-28 12_29_04-Window.png

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

Beforehand I have to say that I am not a ServiceDesk professional and I try to connect my knowledge from Jira/ A4J here. 

To clarify the point you mentioned let me put this in a use case with examples:

let´s say we have "Issue A" which is closed already. Reporter of "Issue A" was "Customer_1".

Now when a comment is added to "Issue A" a new issue "Issue B" should be created, body of the previous comment should go into description. 

regarding the reporter:

• Could the customer that added the comment be another one than the customer who reported "Issue A"? if so...
  • should the user/customer of the comment should be added to the newly created "Issue B"? Or...
  • Should the reporter be copied from "Issue A" to "Issue B"? 

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2022

@Support team one more question that came up with the error message from your last post:

• Is there a special screen defined for "create issue"? Is the field "Reporter" available on the Create screen and can this field be edited in the create screen?

Best
Stefan

Like Support team likes this
Support team April 28, 2022

Hi Stefan

No worries, you already are helping me out. 
The AB scenario you mentioned is what I am aiming for and succeeded until the reporter bit. To answer your bullet points:

• Yes, often the last commenting customer can be a teammate of the issue reporter (i.e. another person from the client's organization)
  • That would be the most optimal solution, yes, as we would then communicate with the person who decided to reach out to us. Sometimes the original requester might be on holiday or stopped working with the client's company.
  • This I would consider a bare minimum but eventually sufficient solution
  • No, there is no special screen out there. Customers use the JSM portal to issue tickets and each time they are facing the field called "Raise this request on behalf of" which is then on the system level, I guess, mapped to the Reporter field. The thing is, the automation screen does not contain "Raise this request on behalf of", but only the "Reporter" field- hence me fidgeting with this field. 
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2022

Ok. got it from customer perspective. The question for me would be what you mentioned "on the system side". So you could also leave out the customers action from the JSM portal and directly create an issue (in behalf of the customer) within the system. Is that possible? and if so: could you try this and see if there is the reporter field shown on the screen while creating the issue? 
As I interpret the last shown error message the system is looking for the reporter field in during creation of the issue but cannot find it. This is very often linked to field/screen configuration.

Furthermore regarding smart value:
In order to edit the reporter field it needs to be filled with the accoundID of the user (not the display name). Please don´t ask me why.....in my eyes this is very confusing =D (see following link):
https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/convert-usernames-to-account-ids/

I tried to kinda reproduce the behaviour (see screenshot):

image.png

Best
Stefan

Support team May 2, 2022

Hi Stefan

Thank you for bearing with me. I've read your last message and went on to test a few things.
The answer to my problem was in your response from 28th, but until this point, I failed to make the connection. Sorry for taking more of your time than it was needed :) 

Here is what was the problem in case someone faces something similar in the future:

• In order to succeed at setting the last person who commented on the issue as a requester of a new ticket, assuming the smart value is set correctly in your rule, you have to "Navigate to your JSM project > Project settings > Screens > Click to edit the Create issue screen > Add the reporter field"
  • If the reporter field is missing from the issue creation screen, the system will set the author defined in the automation rules "Rule details" as the reporter, ignoring smart values in the rule
  • Do not mistake the "Raise this issue on behalf" with the "reporter" field. Although the first maps to the latter, it is something exclusive to the JSM customer portal and the automation operates on the "reporter" field
Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2022

Hi @Support team 

It´s all good. I appreciate your commitment and that we managed to get things running. This is also a possibility for me to enhance my way of working and investigating in new things.

Thanks for your awesome summary. Great community spirit to get things clear for other users. Highly appreciated 🙌

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events