Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed with Creating Tickets Between Two Instances

Edgardo Ibarra July 5, 2024

Hi everyone,

We're facing an issue with creating tickets between two Jira instances. We're using a custom email for this process in both projects. However, when we add a comment to any of the created tickets (which should appear as a comment in the corresponding ticket), it instead creates a new ticket, breaking the conversation thread.

I believe this might be related to the ticket subject, as each ticket has an issue key corresponding to its project, and Jira uses this to determine whether to add a new comment or create a new request.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there an alternative solution or any suggestions on how we can resolve this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2024

Hi Edgardo,

What are you using to connect the two instances? If it is an add-on, have you contacted the vendor? 

Edgardo Ibarra July 8, 2024

Hi John, I hope you're well.

The instances are not really "connected"; what we are doing is creating an issue with the project's email as the "reporter" with the intention of creating an issue in the project of the other instance. This way, we can maintain a back-and-forth through public comments. However, it hasn't been possible so far because each comment creates a new issue. I understand this has to do with the issue's subject.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2024

Thinking that maybe if you include both issue keys in the subject, that might help to keep it from creating it in the other instance. But you would have to experiment with that also. 

Or you might consider an add-on like Exalate, which is designed to do what you are doing. I have not used it directly, but hear good things about it. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2024

Hi @Edgardo Ibarra , indeed the email subject is key. Ensure that the subject has the issue key and Sunnmary of the issue.

Edgardo Ibarra July 8, 2024

Hi Jack, thank you very much for your help.

Yes, the issues have the subject and the issue key because this cannot be removed from customer notifications. However, this causes each new comment to create a new issue in the opposite project. If you know anything that could help with this, I would really appreciate it.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events