Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! How to get a User Property as custom field into an issue?

Tamara Voss April 24, 2019

Hi there, 

I am new to Jira and need help on getting User Property "Department" into the Issue form. I found the custom field type "User Property Field (<255 characters)", but did not find how to get the Reporter's Department value in there. What am I missing?

We are using Jira Service Desk Cloud.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Will be on vacation after Friday this week, would be so great if I could get this sorted before...

Greetings!

Tamara

4 answers

1 vote
aleksandr_pavlovic July 14, 2020

Hello :)

You have to add a default value to a "User Property Field" you've created.

JIRA Administraton -> Issues -> Custom Fields -> User Property Field (<255 characters) -> configure -> Edit default value -> add

The format for the field’s defauft value is: <fieldname>:<user property name>, where <fieldname> can be “reporter”, “assignee” or the name of any other custom field that will return the login name of a user.

For example, if you create a User Picker (single user) custom filed called Customer and have a user property called “Phone” setting the User Property’s default value to “Customer:Phone” will return the value of the phone number of the currently picked user.

Well, better late than never.

Kerli Loopman February 16, 2023

@aleksandr_pavlovic is there any way to make user properties synced from Azure AD? For example to add users manager and department to properties. Can't find a solution without plugins for that to use in user property custom field.

For JSM users it is possible to create users as Assets objects and request the Department from there but any suggestions for user property? Or what are the common use cases for user properties? 

ASP Systems February 23, 2023

Hello @aleksandr_pavlovic

Can we use worklogauthor instead of reporter or assignee?

Thank you.

Best regards,

0 votes

yea, what aleksandr said above seems like total nonsense.    This type of field just a user-picker field.  

Here is the Atlassian documentation that says for this field type "Choose multiple users from the user base via a popup picker window."

0 votes
Arief Halim December 21, 2023

Is this only work for Jira Service Management or also for Jira Software?
Because I've tried assignee:displayName (default attribute) assignee:phoneNumber (custom attribute), both didn't work.

@Arief Halim  see my answer from today above

Arief Halim April 22, 2024

Hi @Rodney Dsouza _Atlassian Certified Expert_ 
I'm already using @aleksandr_pavlovic sample:

1. assignee:displayName
  2. assignee:phoneNumber
  3. customfield_10102:displayName

All never works...

assignee is the default attribute, which is a single-user picker

my customfield_10102 is also a single-user picker.

Like others mentioned, maybe it was working at 2020, but now it broken

0 votes
Station Master April 30, 2021

Hi,

I have added the property key & value to the user and have added the default value as explained above yet this field is not showing when I am creating a ticket. I'm not sure what I'm missing, would it be possible to share some screenshots outlining all the steps required?

Thanks

Cory Beck January 25, 2024

If the field is not showing on the create screen then you add the field to the create screen

BG Pantaleon April 4, 2024

I have added the custom field on the create screen but still not showing anything on the issue view. It is not pulling any data.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 11.47.57 AM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events