Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have customers from AD login to Service management portal

Misha van den Bosch June 18, 2021

Hi,

I've searched how to do this, but can't seem to find a definitive answer (or at least, not clear to me).

The situation is:

- We have a small team with a small Jira/Confluence license budget and have just started to get acquainted with Jira Service Management.

- We'd like to build a JSM portal that is accessible by anyone in our company (read: Active Directory), but not the rest of the world.

- We'd like these customers to be able to register themselves when they login for the first time, without our team having to add them as customers

- Maybe an obvious addition: we'd like these customers not to count towards the jira-user count (and thus increase the cost of our license).

Is there a clear guide on how to achieve this? I do not have Jira admin rights myself, so I'm looking for clear steps to offer my manager to follow.

I've read conflicting stories so far. Some posts seem to suggest that it's possible out of the box, but others suggest using a plugin.

Best regards,

Misha

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2021

Hello @Misha van den Bosch,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Reading your use case, I understood that you need all users that have an account on AD to access the customer portal, is that correct?

- We'd like to build a JSM portal that is accessible by anyone in our company (read: Active Directory), but not the rest of the world.

On Jira Service Management, it’s possible to allow customers to create their own accounts, but it’s not possible to restrict to specific domains. So, everyone will have the ability to create an account.

- We'd like these customers to be able to register themselves when they log in for the first time, without our team having to add them as customers

Do they have an account on your site? I’m asking because it’s possible to add people to the site without application access, it means that they are users but don’t count as licensed ones. 

So, if they already have an account on the site, you just need to set the project permissions (Project settings > Customer permissions or Project settings > Channels > Customer permissions) to “Anyone with an account on”. After changing this permission, everyone that has an account will be automatically listed as a customer on the project. 

Another thing is that it’s not necessary to add customers one by one. If you have a list of the emails of the people you need to be customers, you can just add a comma after each email and add them on the Customers’ page. 

Screen Recording 2021-06-25 at 03.36.54 PM.gif

Note that, if you do this, just make sure that people that are already licensed are not included, otherwise, their account will be duplicated and it can cause permission issues.

- Maybe an obvious addition: we'd like these customers not to count towards the jira-user count (and thus increase the cost of our license).

Portal only customers don’t count towards a license. Only internal users that are members of the default groups (usually confluence-users, jira-software-users, jira-servicemanagement-users, jira-users) will count as licensed users. 

Hope this helps!

Please, let us know if you have any other questions. Feel free to share with us more details about your use case, so we can share the steps to help you.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events