Hand off a Jira Form from one project to another (on the same instance)

Anthony R August 3, 2022

I have a business need to hand off a JSM form from one project to another.

The new JSM Forms make the UX alot simpler for our customers but I'm having trouble when I need to hand a 'form' off from one project to another.

This scenario doesn't happen often but it happens afew times a month.

• Customer fills out our new Jira Smart Form (the one with the nice UI)
  • The Helpdesk team reviews the customers request BUT they determine that the request needs to be escalated to our Dev Ops team
  • I've created an automation that the Helpdesk team trigger by setting the status of the request to "refered to Other team" and a separate field where they can select which project they are referring it to E.g. "Dev Ops"
  • My triggers and automation work perfectly but for the life of me I cannot get the original Jira Form to migrate.

I've tried tweaking the Jira Form settings to ensure it creates a PDF (thinking that the automation could forward the PDF as an attachment) but that didn't work

I've tried creating an identical form in both projects but I think because not all of the Jira Form fields are linked not everything is being migrated

I've tried using the 3rd Party App "Backbone" and whilst that came close I still can't get it to work.

As a minimum what I need is

1. Customer fills in Jira Form in project A
  2. Helpdesk receives form (the form is also attached to the request as a PDF)
  3. Helpdesk send the request to Dev Ops team (with the form from the customer as an attachment)

And before anyone asks, I've looked at all of the Jira Forms documentation and I cannot find a solution to my problem 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 5, 2022

@Anthony R

This is Umer from K15t, the creators behind Backbone Issue Sync for Jira. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having a tough time syncing JSM with your internal instance, especially about how Backbone couldn't really fit your use case.

Could you maybe elaborate a little more on what kind of error(s) you ran into when trying to sync the 2 internal projects? 

And if you want to discuss your specific use case with us or require a demo, let us know via support.k15t.com or book a demo here.
Regards!

Anthony R August 7, 2022

Hi @Umer Sohail _K15t_ Thanks for getting in touch.

Please Note, After more investigation I believe there's an underlying issue with Jira forms on my cloud instance, as it is not allowing me to generate the forms as PDF attachments to a job (as it's supposed to). So I've raised the issue with Atlassian and they are investigating.

Once I hear back from them I'll let you know how I go.

Like Umer Sohail _K15t_ likes this
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 8, 2022

@Anthony R 

Wish you all the best and hope you can resolve the problem soon! :)

1 vote
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
August 10, 2022

Hi @Anthony R,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

It is also possible to clone and move tickets (including forms) with our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira. 

To clone and move a ticket including "forms" and "attachments", you simply would have to:

• Select the issue(s) you want to clone
  • Click Deep Clone
  • Select the target project (e.g. Dev Ops) and issue type
  • Select "clone issue properties" in the configuration to include "forms" in the clone
  • Select "attachment" to make sure to clone the attached file
  • Clone

deep-clone-jira_clone-forms.png

It is also possible to trigger a Deep Clone on a workflow transition or integrate it with Jira Automation.

If you have feedback or questions about our app, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Mark Ellis September 1, 2023

Hi @Marlene Kegel - codefortynine ,

Is this post-functionality still working? I have Deep Clone set up as you show above, yet my forms still don't copy from
Service Management project
to
Software Management project
"
EDIT: For anyone reading this, Deep Clone does work perfectly for this. My issue was user error, or failing to publish my edited post function prior to testing 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks,

Mark

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
September 4, 2023

Hi @Mark Ellis,

I am happy to read that your issue was solved. Thank you for updating your reply to share that.

You can also reach out to us directly, if you experience an issue with Deep Clone for Jira. 

1 vote
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2022

Hi @Anthony R 

If you really want to stick with Automation, I would recommend adding a screenshot of your rule so some of the Automation experts on Community can give you some pointers on fixing your rule (which on paper should work if the form is an attached PDF).

But I'll mention that the app Elements Copy & Sync just released the compatibility with forms (FYI, I work for the vendor) and for a classic case of escalating an issue from JSM to a software project, you can just add Jira Forms to the list of things you want to copy over to the new issue.

This is what it looks like to configure (I also activated the synchronization so if the form changes on the original request the dev team automatically sees it):

How to activate copy of forms-min.gif

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events