Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML tags not being utilized in Issue Description

Jim Thomson January 29, 2021

Hi there!

The (small) company I work for recently started using Jira Service Management.  We've sort of been using it for something a tad different than its intended purpose, but it's been really helpful so far.  Our IT department here includes myself and two other people (one is far away at another site) so it's been Really great for keeping track of things.  We use one project to keep track of things we do so support our users, and another one to keep track of things we know/learn, to be sort of an ever-growing knowledge base in case we need to look things up in the future.

Anywho, we recently imported a ton of old entries from out old Track-It system into a separate, third project, which went well for the most part with only a few issues.  One problem we're having however, is that some of the entries with HTML tags for formatting show properly.  In the Description of each issue, the HTML tags are visible in the text and aren't working properly.

Is HTML not supposed to work in the Description?  Is this perhaps just an issue with how these were imported from Track-It?  I tried manually editing a few of the issues, but get the same result with tags in the Description text.  Any ideas as to what to do about this?  I don't really care much if the text doesn't get formatting from the tags; I just want to clean up my entries a bit so they're much more legible to the next person that may view them down the road.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!  :)

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

@Jim Thomson -

Hi Jim:

Currently by default, the usage of HTML tags in Jira text field is disabled because security risk.  See this posting - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/enable-html-tag-usage-in-jira-server-text-fields-771895067.html

It is up to users to decide if they want to take on the security risk or not..

In regards to the Jira issue's description field (by default) it supports [Wiki Style Renderer] to allow RTF values.  You can check your project's field configuration scheme and search for the "Description" field to see if Wiki Style Render (default setup) has been changed or not.  If it is showing as [Default Text Render}, then you can click on the "Renders" option to switch it to Wiki Style.

2021-01-29_13-29-20.png

For Jira's Cloud env, HTML tags are not allowed - See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/html-code-appears-in-description-fields-779160717.html.  You will need to convert the tags to Wiki Markup tags.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Ravitheja February 2, 2024

I migrated the Jira projects from server to cloud and I see the html tags in the issue description and the users doesn't need those tags, can you please suggest me the solution to remove html tags from the issue description, thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events