Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group Picker (single group) custom field. How to show only specific groups?

Paul Heath Armengol January 16, 2023

Is there a way to limit the groups available to a user when choosing from a Group Picker (single group) custom field?

3 answers

3 votes
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2023

Hi @Paul Heath Armengol ,

At present in native jira, you cannot do this. There is already a suggestion ticket (JRACLOUD-61856) with Atlassian. Vote and watch this for updates

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2023

ah...yes! Rilwan, you are correct! You currently cannot control the options in Group picker within a Context. :-(

Like Rilwan Ahmed likes this

I'm a newby admin for this tool and it is becaming really frustrating...

This is only the third issue I've raised and every time I get the same answer "There is already a suggestion ticket with Atlassian. Vote and watch this for updates"

Attlasian has 5881 open issues some over 20 years old and still gathering dust on the shelves.

e.g. JRACLOUD-61856 was created in 2016 and is Unassigned. 

What gives?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2023

Hi Paul, I hear your frustration. First I wanted to ensure that you understand that Rilwan and I are "community leaders" as the lozenge by our name conveys. However, we do not work for Atlassian. Rather, we are users similar to yourself. We support the Community in order to help others.

It can certainly be quite frustrating to see issues you care about stuck in "To Do". The best option (?) is to share your feedback with Atlassian using the various methods:

• Vote/watch/comment on open Suggestions
  • Use the Feedback link in the App
  • Contact Atlassian Support

Regarding the 5881 open issues, to be fair there are also 23583 resolved issues. Of course the resolution isn't always "fixed" but they have been addressed. Too, JAC isn't a complete view of what has and has not been addressed.

While I know this doesn't address your immediate issue, I do hope it at least provides some helpful context.

Like Rilwan Ahmed likes this

Thanks for the context.

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2023

Hi @Paul Heath Armengol ,

There are some apps which can be helpful. But these are paid ones. You can check Atlassian market to any other apps as well. 

Example: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1210749/power-custom-fields-premium?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2023

@Paul Heath Armengol -

I agreed with what @Jack Brickey and @Rilwan Ahmed stated.  Unfortunately, it is up to Atlassian's development team to address those outstanding open issues/enhancement requests.

Just like all of us, adding ourselves as watchers of interested open issues are the best way to keep updated with progress.  In addition, I would also recommend that you to visit to the following link to review Atlassian's cloud roadmaps on their products - https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?selectedProduct=jiraService;jsw&

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2023

EDITED...

As Rilwan points out, unlike other custom field select lists, you cannot specify the options within a CF Context. :-(

You can create a Context for the custom field based on project or Issuetype to present the desired options.

1. settings > issues > custom fields 
  2. Find your custom field and click on the on the right
  3. select Context and default value
  4. add a new context

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS