Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Automation: The issue type selected is invalid

Cláudia Silva May 13, 2024

Hi,

I am creating a "Global automation" in which my trigger is triggered when there is a change to the issue's status, this status must be equal to "Approved" and these issues must belong to project X, Y and Z. In each issue must still be present issue links of type "Blocks". Then, for each issue, it must belong to the "TCM" project and the issueType = "Request", then the status of each issue will change from "Request" to "Implement". The entire process works correctly, until the change of issueType where the error "The issue type selected is invalid. (issuetype)" appears.
Below is a screenshot of the automation.

Notes: We added the issueType "Implement" to the default issues Type, we also tested adding it to the issueType of the "TCM" project itself, but without success.

Can you help me in this regard?

Thanks!!Screenshot.png

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2024

Hi @Cláudia Silva 

Could you please verify if both issue types have identical workflows. Because that may be one of the reasons its not changing 

Thank you. 

I'm not sure how I can tell if it has the same workflow, I don't know if you could help me in that regard? What was done was to add the "Implement" as a "Default Issue Type Scheme" where in the projects column it is associated with Global (all unconfigured projects). However, if I try to create an issue in the "TCM" project, only the issuesType that I created in the project itself and it doesn't let me select, for example, "Task" or "Improvement" because it's a different project, but I would like it to be possible to still interact with the default issueType.

Thank you.

Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2024

Can you share the screen shot of the issue type scheme in the TCM project 

Project settings > issues > Types  

Yes of course. These are the issue types that were created for this project and one of them is "Implement". Even so, we also created an "Implement" in the default issue Types but neither one nor the other identifies it.

Screen shot - issueType.png

Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2024

Hi @Cláudia Silva 

I tired to recreate the issue and I also got the same error at first then I decided to check with another issue type which worked and then again I tired the issue type which gave me the error and this time it didn't show me the other  it changed 

test -1.PNGtest -2.PNG

For testing can you try whether the automation is working with another issue type. try to change the last action issue type to another issue type instead of "Implement"

I tested changing the issue type to "Task", which is also a default, and then I tested it to "Request" and neither of them worked, it still gives the same error "The issue type selected is invalid. (issuetype)".
A curiosity is that in the previous step it is a JQL condition in which I say that the issues found must be of the "Request" type and then it has no problem identifying the issue, but then in the then it no longer accepts because these issue types They are the default ones and it seems to me that it does not identify that this issue type also has to belong to the TCM project.

Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2024

Hi @Cláudia Silva 

As we see the issue types in the TCM project you don't have a issue type "task" In the TCM project you have only "Requirement" "functional Area" "implement" "request" "test case" and "step" you have only these issue types 

can you check whether in the action dropdown you getting two issues types named implement 

Dropdown1.pngDropdown2.png

Default Issue Type Scheme.png

In the dropdown you have all the options that exist in the "Default Issue Type Scheme". And no, there isn't the issue Type "Implement" twice...

Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2024

Is TCM is one of the project you selected in the first condition (these issues must belong to project X, Y and Z.) 

Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2024

and can you also check the rule details scope what all projects its showing 

No.. In the first condition there are 3 other projects, only after searching for the linked issues do these have to belong to the "TCM" project.

Rule Details.pngScope.png

In rule details I have Global but in the audit logs when it gives the answer, it changes to Multiple Projects.. I don't know if it's the normal process..

Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2024

This may help change the scope in the rule details to only TCM project update it and then go to the last action and now in the drop down you should only see these issue types 

"Requirement" "functional Area" "implement" "request" "test case" and "step"

In this you select the Implement and update the automation and then again go to the rule details and change the scope to global then run the automation

It worked @Jerrold - Empyra !  Out of curiosity, is there any logic to this? Thank you very much for your help and quick response.

Like Jerrold - Empyra likes this
Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2024

No problem, So the issue type you selected at the first was not the same issue type that is associated to the team managed project  that is the problem I don't know exactly why its not showing when we put the scope at global it should consider both team and company managed. Anyways happy that worked. Please consider accepting the answer if it was helpful

Thank you.

Have a nice day.  

0 votes
Klaudia Schön_Deviniti_ May 13, 2024

Hi @Cláudia Silva

In the first step, I would recommend you to verify whether you are able to create the issue with the mentioned issue type in a manual way.  Are you able to manually select this specific type on the create screen? Or maybe is it a sub-task type? 

Kind regards,
Klaudia

I think the problem could be here, because in the "TCM" project, if I create an issue, I can't add the issueType "Implement" to that same issue. I can only add it if I actually created an issueType "Implement" within this project. The question here is to understand how I can interact with projects even though they have different workflows... I believed that by adding the issueType to the JIRA settings as a default issueType that it would be enough to identify it in the "TCM" project...

Thank you!

@Cláudia Silva In case you use another project scheme for this project, you need to localize the proper one in the global settings and then, add the specific issue type to this scheme. A separate workflow shouldn't be a problem here as your wish is to create the issue :) 

The question is that the other projects are "company-based" and TCM is a "team-based" project, does that make a difference? It's just that if I go to Issue -> Issue type screen schemes I don't have any associated with the TCM project..

Ok, so if I understand correctly, you'd like to create a link between Company-managed and Team-managed projects via Automation, am I right?

Yes that's right. I would like that when those conditions that I left in the screen shot happen in projects X,Y,Z that are "Company-managed" then go to the "TCM" project that is "team-based" and change its issueType..

Jerrold was able to solve my problem, but thank you very much for your help and quick response @Klaudia Schön_Deviniti_ .

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events