Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Automation Rule Help

Stefan Speck April 25, 2023

Dear community,

I have created a workflow for our company that includes that the ticket status at the end can be "canceled" and "done". At the very end I have added a status that is called "closed". All tickets that are either "canceled" or "done" for a week should go here. Now I would like to define an automation rule that moves all tickets in "canceled" and "done" to the status "closed" after one week. Unfortunately I am totally overwhelmed and don't know how to define such a rule.

I am very glad to get some feedback.

Many greetings

Stefan

3 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

Hi @Stefan Speck, I would recommend setting up the following:

Trigger:

• Use the Scheduled trigger, and set this to run at a particular time every day (I'd suggest a time towards the start of the working day)
  • Tick the 'Run a JQL search and execute actions for each issue in the query.' checkbox and enter a JQL of status in (canceled, done) and status changed to (canceled, done) before "-1w"
    • This finds all issues that are currently in one of those two statuses, and have transitioned to them over a week ago

Actions:

• Use the Transition Issues action, and select the Closed status

You could also add some conditions between the trigger and the action in order to restrict the rule down to a particular set of issues.

I hope this helps!

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

In addition to @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ 

We are using SLA's to monitor this change and trigger the automation on the expiration of the SLA. The added benefit of that is that you can check the status of the SLA and send reminders to the customer before the expiration.

For example, we have a status Waiting for Customer. When the issue has that status for a week, we transfer it to Resolved. After 3 more days, it is Closed

We update the customer after 3 days of Waiting for Customer to remind them that we are waiting on them. We then send a reminder the day before the transition to allow them a change to reply.

After 2 days of being Resolved, the issue is then Closed and locked.

Like Callum Carlile likes this
Stefan Speck April 26, 2023

@Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ 
@Paul Wiggers 

Thanks for all the information, it really helps me a lot! 

Best regards, Stefan

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2023

@Stefan Speck -

To supplement what @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ and @Paul Wiggers suggested, you can setup a scheduled automation rule using the Callum's JQL query to identify your issues and move them to "Closed" status.

2023-04-25_8-40-33.png

2023-04-25_8-42-09.png

A few important things that you need to have before the setup -

1) Your WF for your project(s) and all affected issue types' WF must have the necessary transition into the CLOSED status (from Canceled/Done status).

2) You need to ensure that the resolution field is properly populated when moving to CLOSED.

3) The rule actor must have the permission to conduct the issue transition for your project.

4) If this rule is only affecting one project, then you don't need to make the rule GLOBAL, it is because if it is a GLOBAL rule, then it's executions will be counted against your automation rule execution count limits which is 500 execution for Standard subscription.

You can refer to the following page for subscription plans details (there is a row call-out for Automation) - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/explore-jira-cloud-plans/

Hope this also helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Stefan Speck April 26, 2023

@Joseph Chung Yin 

Thanks for all the information and  the detailed explanation!

Best regards, Stefan

1 vote
Kateryna_v_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 30, 2023

Hi @Stefan Speck 

As a simple alternative, you can try the SLA Time and Report for Jira add-on (developed by my team).

For the Start condition, set the one Status you want to change, and for the Stop, set the Status you which will replace the previous one.
To the SLA time goal, set the trigger in 5 minutes and select the action "Change the Status to " the Same Status as for the Stop condition.
10_2023-04-30_8-19-04.png

That's all. It should work. You can add conditions, such as issue type, to make the automation work for a more specific list of tasks.

Take a 30-day trial to see how it works for you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events