Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate a report from an issue, capturing the fields from a set of subtasks within that issue?

Miguel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 4, 2024

Hey there!

We want to generate a report from a single Issue that can summarize the amounts of numeric custom fields contained in a sub-task.

Example: 
ITSL-545 has 3 different SubTasks
- ST-1 - Zoom
- ST-2 - Slack
- ST-3 - Google

Each SubTask has a numeric custom field named Savings

- ST-1 - Savings is 500
- ST-2 - Savings is 250
- ST-3 - Savings is 250

We want to generate a report that would show a chart summarizing the total amount of Savings for each SubTask done:

Report for ITSL-545
Number of subtasks done - 3
Total Savings - 1000

Is there a way to accomplish this within Jira or through Automation?

TIA

2 answers

1 vote
Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2024

Hi @Miguel 

Welcome to the community

I think in some extend yes.

First you would need a custom field to store the number of sub-tasks on the issue and an automation rule to populate this field, based on creation of the sub-task on the issue or when the parent is set to done find the sub-tasks and based upon the number of found task update the custom field

This should give the number of sub-tasks on the issue.

And another numeric custom field, to be placed on the parent of the sub-tasks, related an automation that fiends all sub-tasks and sums up the values of the field savings.

example on this on closing the parent and check if all childs are done as well

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 15.24.55.png

You could an an extra action to sent an email where you set the following:

Report for: {{issue.key}}
Total sub-tasks: {{issue.Total sun-tasks}}
Total saving is: {{issue.Savings}}

Please check to confirm the smart value matches your field name.  To do that, use the information in this how-to article.

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 6, 2024

Hi @Miguel

welcome to the community!

I understand that you're looking for an Automation-based solution, but just to put this out there as a possible alternative: If you're open to options from the Atlassian Marketplace, this would be easy to solve using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting

With these, you can build a view like e.g. this in just a couple of clicks:

sub-task-custom-field-sum-up.gif

Note that this just works, and doesn't require any scripting or automation whatosever.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,
Hannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events