Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

G Suite Syncing & Customer Permissions

Hi All,

Hoping to find some clarity here on a few things before moving forward with my current configuration, thank you in advance for any help provided here.

1. When Syncing G-Suite users to Jira service desk; are these users granted access to the backend of the Help Center? I included a picture(Figure A) of the area I am concerned these users would be granted access to, my intention is to only Sync G-Suite to provide the "Login with Google" as an option at our help center. 

(Figure A)
service-desk.PNG

2. How could I go about verifying that users synced from G-Suite will only be able to log in via Help Center? Pictured in (Figure B) 

As an aside; my understanding is that the feature to Enforce G-Suite Login Policy is only accessible through Altassian Access, however the underlying feature of "Login with Google" remains open to use for free? Please let me know if I am understanding this correctly. Thank you again for any help provided, I am excited to use Jira!

I am on the Free version of Jira Service Desk/Confluence. 

(Figure B)
figure-b.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello @Josef Untalan,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

When Syncing G-Suite users to Jira service desk; are these users granted access to the backend of the Help Center?

When using GSuite, it will sync users and not customers, but they can have access only to the customer portal if:

• They are not added to the default group that gives access to Jira Service Management. If they are added to the group, they will be considered as agents and not customers, this means that they will count towards being licensed users.
  • The project is open to anyone with an account: Project settings > Customer permissions (company-managed) or Project settings > Channels > Customer permissions (team-managed), and the Service project access is Anyone with an account on https://yourdomain.atlassian.net.

I included a picture(Figure A) of the area I am concerned these users would be granted access to, my intention is to only Sync G-Suite to provide the "Login with Google" as an option at our help center. 

They won’t have access to the Queues unless they have a Service Management license and be added to the Service Desk Team or Agent role in the project.

Also, the help center doesn’t work with SSO, so using GSuite won’t enable the Continue with Google option for them in the help center login page, but, having an Atlassian account with site access only (not product access) will allow them to use the Continue with Google via the https://yourdomain.atlassian.net and not https://yourdomain.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals.

How could I go about verifying that users synced from G-Suite will only be able to log in via Help Center? Pictured in (Figure B) 

When people are synced via GSuite, they are added as internal users, so they will be listed under the Cog icon > User management > Users.

Before syncing the users it's important to remove product access, so they won’t count towards your licenses.

Go to Cog icon > User management > Product access and disable the New users have access to this product option for all products.

This is a profile of a user that would have only access to the customer portal:

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 13.53.13.png

Even though they would use the Continue with Google and login as any other user, since they are not added to any default group, once they log in, they will be redirected to the customer portal.

As an aside; my understanding is that the feature to Enforce G-Suite Login Policy is only accessible through Altassian Access, however the underlying feature of "Login with Google" remains open to use for free? 

The Continue with Google, Microsoft, or Apple on the login page is for any plans. Even without GSuite, any user with an Atlassian account that has a Google ID will be able to use the Continue with Google.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Next level incident management in Jira Service Management

Hello Atlassian Community! We’re thrilled to announce some exciting changes to incident management in Jira Service Management Cloud, in order to give your teams extra muscle during incidents, and ...

1,523 views 20 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you