Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forms linked to fields not populating the data.

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2022

How can we have forms push the data to the fields? We have field linked from forms are on the screens to show the data but after an issue is created the form data is not replicating to the custom fields. 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2022

@Aaron Geister -

Please provide more details on your issue.  If your form's field is linked to an actual JSM project's field, then the value captured in the form will be reflected in the issue.  Lastly, did you check to see if the field was exposed in your JSM issue's view issue screen?

Once you provide the details, I can then further assist your ask.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2022

The fields are on the Creation, Edit, and view screens. But after the request are created the Form field linked to jira fields are not populating the data. You see it on the form in the Form view area but not on the fields that are linked to the Forms. 

To give you more idea I am only using the default screen as the create, edit, view in the new issue view. 

Do you have to add the customer field ID or only link the field in the Form? I have tried both and they don't seem to work for me. 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2022

@Aaron Geister 

No you don't need to use custom field ID.  When you setup your Form, did you associate the Form to a specific request type?  (via Form Bulider's Settings tab)

2022-05-03_15-47-34.png

If so, did you ensure the form's fields that are linked to actual Jira fields are matching on the data format types?  (e.g. Form's field type is "Checkbox", but the Jira field is single select dropdown list?)

If your Form fields linked properly to Jira fields, then it will always work.  BTW, are all of the form's fields (linked to the actual Jira fields) are all not showing?  Or, it is only a few specific fields?  If it is the latter, then what are those Form field data types + Jira fields data types?

Best, Joseph

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2022

@Aaron Geister -

Forgot to mention that currently there are limitation on what field types (custom fields) that you can use within Form.

Jira custom fields that are supported in forms

You may want to include more details in your forms than the default fields. Project admins can set up additional custom and system fields that can be used in your form for your project.

To see these custom fields in your form, you’ll need to add the custom fields to that issue type scheme. Learn more about how to add a new issue type scheme. Once you’ve added the custom fields to the issue type scheme, you’ll need to set up the custom fields. Learn more about setting up custom fields. Once you’ve set up the additional field(s) that you’d like to include in your form, drag the field into your form.

Only a limited set of custom field types are supported at the moment. These are the custom fields you can currently only add:

• Date picker

• Date time picker

• Group picker (single groups)

• Group picker (multiple groups)

• Labels

• Number field

• Radio buttons

• Select list (cascading)

• Select list (multiple choices)

• Select list (single choice)

• Text field (multi-line)

• Text field (single line)

• URL field

• User picker (single user)

• User picker (multiple users)

These are the system fields you can currently only add:

• Attachment

• Due date

• Description

• Labels

• Priority

Best, Joseph

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin 

All form field are currently not replicating the data in the request. I have checked and all field are valid fields. 

Are the fields suppose to show the data after creation of issue in the form field and the custom field if they are valid field? All the field are all linked in the form builder that I am trying to get the data from for reporting and automation purposes. 

Let me double check and try another test. 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2022

Yes, the fields values populated in the Form will automatically be populated against your JSM issue fields.

I have tested against both company managed and team managed projects, and as long as the Form setup is correct, then everything works.

So, it is difficult at this time to determine what is the problem on your end.  One idea I have is for you create another test Form with just 3 fields - Summary, Description, maybe one select dropdown list configured/linked to the Jira field.  Afterward, make sure you associate your Form with the appropriate request type.  Once it is setup, conduct your test again.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events