Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting text in a Paragraph field

MrUpsidown July 21, 2022

I added a Paragraph (multiline text field) to my issues.

image.png

It says the field supports rich text, bold, colored text, etc. but whatever I tried to insert rich text failed.

I am trying to set the field value to something like :

Some bold text
Some standard text

By manually editing the field on the issue, or via automation. Both fail.

If I try to set the field value with automation like

*Some bold text*
Some standard text

When viewing the issue, I can see the 2 asterisks (*) around "Some bold text" but the text is not set to bold. The same happens when editing the field on the issue itself, and the same happens with other formatting such as color, etc.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jordan Wilkinson July 26, 2022
MrUpsidown July 27, 2022

Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.

I am on Jira Cloud and I don't have the options described in the link you posted.

Jordan Wilkinson July 27, 2022

Oh yea, skip step 1. See the instructions at the bottom of this cloud article. I will edit my original answer.
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/specify-field-behavior/

Like Todd Mirkin likes this
MrUpsidown July 27, 2022

OK thanks. Strange behaviour though: When editing the field manually, if I want bold text, I need to wrap a word in between 2 asterisks like **something** but if I write **something** in that field (now in Wiki style) from an Automation rule, the result is *something* instead of something

And if instead I use *something* in my Automation rule, it displays in the field as something (bold) when I would actually expect to see something (italic).

JD October 12, 2023

This seems very buggy/incomplete. Very annoying that I cannot create a Description type field that has a formatted default value. It simply refuses to format the text no matter how I format it and which renderer is selected.

Like Henry Rendleman likes this
0 votes
Jordan Wilkinson July 26, 2022

I'm experiencing the same issue. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events