Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Follow-up date as a variable in custom notifications

Helene Otte December 20, 2022

I would like to add the follow-up date as a variable to a custom notification - so the customer can see when I would like to follow-up on the task.

Can I do the and if yes how do I do that. 

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2022

Hi Helene  - Welcome to that Atlassian Community!

I would create a custom field with a Date type. Then you can populate the field and keep it updated based on an Automation rule. 

Helene Otte December 21, 2022

Hi John 

That sounds easy, but I am really new in Jira - so do you have a guide I can follow, I have tried to search the internet but with out luck. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2022

Not really a guide but I can tell you steps more or less.

What is the criteria on how the follow-up date will be calculated? I am assuming it will be something related to the Due Date, such as 10 days prior to the Due Date or something like that? 

Let's start with that so I can give better guidance. 

The follow-up date will not be calculated it is a date we can choose when we respond on a task see attached picture. Follow-up.JPG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2022

Okay - looks like you have that added. What additional functionality are you needing? 

The date is not visible for the customer.

I would like it to appear in the customer notification I send to the customer, like the “${request.status}”. 

So it would be like this if I choose follow-up date add a date and click follow-Up - I do not have to write anything to the customer - unless I have something personal to add. 

Example:
The status has changed to "Follow-up date" ( “${request.status}”. ) I will look at your case again the "follow up date"

Waiting for follow-up date.JPGDo it makes sense? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2022

I think I am following you, but I would not use the Automation for Jira functionality and not the built-in automation of the project. 

You would go to Settings (gear icon) > System > Global Automation

Then create the automation rule there. 

Helene Otte December 23, 2022

I do not think you understand what I want, and maybe I have to high demands? 

I will try to explain again. 

In the customer notifications I would like that the follow-up date I choose in the respond to the customer is added automatic. Like ${request.status}, ${event.user.name} ect. 

So in the costumer notification it says:
The status I change to follow- up and I will follow- up on your task the 1st of January

So the text in bold is added automatically with at variable, is it possible to added the follow-up date as a variable? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2022

Let me see if I follow you. You execute a transition, which causes the pop up to appear above. You put a date if the Follow-up date field. Then you click on the Follow Up button.

Correct? 

If so, then I would create a new Automation Rule for the notification email. Create it with a Field Value Change trigger and select the Follow-up date field. 

Then add a new action for Send Email. There you can select the Reporter in the To: field. 

In the body of the email you can use something like:

Dear {{issue.reporter.displayName}}:

I will follow- up on your task on {{issue.Follow-up date.longDate}}

Give that a try and see if it works for you. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events