Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Field dynamic auto-completion

Adrien Morel April 23, 2019

In Jira, list fields have auto-completion.

However, it uses a static data set to suggest the value. It does not handle more than a few thousand entries.

In order for the auto-completion to support tens of thousands of entries to search in, other SaaS products' lists usually issue an Ajax call everytime the field value changes. For exemple:

- nothing happens while the field value is shorter than 3 charactes

- on any change, if the field value length is superior or equal to 3, an ajax call is issued, returning a limited list of results (100 for example) with a flag indicating weither there's more results in store, not returned.

- the auto-completion only works on the list returned by the Ajax call

That would allow lists to have any size, as long as the Ajax call is fast enough to keep usability high.

So, is there any addon already providing that, or where would I start to develop my own feature? Thank you! :)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

Hi Adrien,

Thank you for your question. 

I can confirm that the ScriptRunner for JIRA Cloud plugin is unable to perform any dynamic validation on issue forms to link or hide fields like the server version can with the Behaviors feature.

Also, I can confirm that the plugin cannot dynamically populate field values like it can in the server version can with the Behaviors feature. 

The reason we are unable to provide this functionality is due to the restricted functionality and API's which Atlassian provide inside JIRA Cloud, due to the fact that Atlassian only provides a Rest API in Jira Cloud and not the same Java API that the server version contains.

You can see more detailed information on the differences between ScriptRunner for JIRA Cloud and ScriptRunner for JIRA Server inside of the documentation page located here.

If this response has answered your question can you please mark it as accepted so that other users can see it is correct when searching for similar answers.

Regards,

Kristian

Adrien Morel April 24, 2019

Hi Kristian, I wasn't specifically aiming ScriptRunner in my question, but thank you for these precisions.

However, I addresed another point about ScriptRunner cloud directly on your Service Desk instance, and got no answer yet.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

Hi Adrien,

Thankyou for your response. 

Can I please ask if you created your request through our customer portal located at https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/23 as I cannot see your request inside of our portal. 

Regards,

Kristian

No sorry, I mixed up things. I understand your answer as per Tarun suggestions.

My initial question, however, was a little more general, I needed to know if I would ever be able to build a dynamic loading auto-completed field on Jira cloud :)

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2019

Hi Adrien,

It would not be possible to built this field using *ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud* and I do not know if this would be possible in a custom plugin either.

Regards,

Kristian

Ok thank you

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2019

Hello @Adrien Morel 

What you want is available on the Jira server

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-conversions.html

But for Jira cloud, this is a popular plugin but I am not sure if it offers exactly what you need.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212161/extension-for-jira-service-desk?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Hello,

Thank you for these links. You say the first one is for Jira Server. Do you mean I cannot implement that on my Cloud instance?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2019

Yes, the first link is only for Jira server and not available on Cloud. Please see the second link for cloud, but I don't think currently there is a easy way to implement what you want on cloud

Indeed, the second option don't achieve what I'm looking for.

Looks like the Cloud option is somehow too limited. We may move to the server version, or to competitors that are much more open to community needs (yes, I'm sarcastic because Atlassian makes new interfaces that have less features than old ones, killing some main functionalities on the way)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events