Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract text from a comment to use in a field

David Fawkes January 10, 2023

Hi i would like some advice on how to extract specific part of text from a comment. I am looking to extract a part of line so i can then paste this into a custom field. 

Any advice?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2023

Hi @David Fawkes,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You can do that with smart values and automation. The smart values for text fields have lots of options to extract substrings from a field. For example I am using this in one of our automations to find Prisma Alert Ids:

{{issue.description.substringBetween("This was Prisma Alert ",",")}}

David Fawkes January 11, 2023

Thanks for this suggestion but i cannot get it to pick up the field from the comments. 

The text comes in via a comment as below and i want to take the U439090 section and put this in to a field in Jira. The number though will always be different.

Work Order No: U439090

Origination Date: 06/01/2023

Originator: eng-341

Asset Number: IZC12

Priority: D

David Fawkes January 11, 2023

@Mikael Sandberg thanks see the note above do you have any other suggestions? 

Thanks

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2023

So something like this should do it for you assuming that it is the last comment:

{{issue.comments.last.body.substringBetween("Work Order No: ", "Origination")}}

Morgan Watts January 4, 2024

Thanks for this. Had a similar request come in and this was an awesome answer. @Mikael Sandberg 

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events