Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting an issue to a PDF

Jim Stewart December 11, 2020

I was showing our HR department their help desk to be. Given that HR deals with all sorts of legal matters, they would like to download issues to PDF's. When we looked at the export possibilities there were Word (which they don't have, they use Google) or XML. So the only recourse was to print to a PDF from XML.

Is that pretty much it for options? I see an add-on in the marketplace called Better PDF Exporter. I can use a 30-day trial but it estimates that it will cost us $4000/year. I don't think I can sell that to management. 

So let me know if there is a built-in PDF exporter that I am overlooking or some other comparable solution. Otherwise we'll just keep doing what we're doing. Thanks 

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2020

Hello Jim,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When it comes to export issues directly to PDF, it would be necessary to use an add-on as you mentioned. 

There was a feature request suggesting this, but it was closed as "Won't fix".

There is a workaround they can use to save issues as PDF without an add-on. I was testing here and if we select the option Export > Print details (in case of multiple tickets) or Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 17.52.48.png > Print (single ticket), it will open a new tab with a version to print. Using CTRL or Command + P to print, it will be possible to save as a PDF. I tested here in Chrome and Firefox.

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 17.47.40.png

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Jim Stewart December 13, 2020

Yes, that was a fix they were hoping to avoid. I checked out all the PDF apps. Incredibly, all of them estimate it will cost several thousand per year to use. Which, for a PDF exporter, is nothing less than a ripoff. So we'll just keep doing it the way you suggested. Thanks. 

Jim Stewart December 13, 2020

Actually I see a Print option where I can print to a PDF but I don't see anything called Export-Print Details. 

Export.jpg

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2020

Hi Jim,

The Print details option is visible when exporting several tickets. So, if you go to Filters > Advanced search you can filter all tickets that you need and use the Print details to export all at once.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 10.54.37.png 

0 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 29, 2021

Exporting Jira Cloud issues to PDF is much more than "putting a screenshot of the issue onto PDF". It's also about handling different data types, languages, and layout preferences correctly. Being flexible and easy to script and automate is often a requirement, too.

Printing a Jira issue and sending that to a customer or manager would not suffice for many, so what tool you should use depends on who will use the output PDF and where.

If you are looking for a native and dedicated way for exporting Jira Cloud issues to PDF or to create professional PDF reports (tailored to your company's look-and-feel rules) instead of workarounds, one option to look at is Better PDF Exporter for Jira Cloud.

jira-cloud-dashboard-service-desk-report.png

You can browse the Jira Service Management specific and other export samples here.

(Please note that Better PDF Exporter for Jira Cloud is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events