Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Requests - Prevent New Tickets Via Email BUT Allow Responses To Questions / Notifications

Sebastian Delmastro June 20, 2022

DON'T WANT = New tickets created via emails sent to our email address.

WANT = Customer email reply to question sent from JSD issue to log a comment in the issue.

WANT = Customer email reply to a notification sent from JSD issue to log a comment in the issue.

Business Goal = We want to force the user to fill out a number of fields on the request / issue record. This level of details would not be obtained from a ticket automatically created from a received email.

3 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2023

The above-mentioned suggestion of disabling JSM email requests won't actually work - the system will not create new requests but also won't leave replies as comments. We've had a few of the same requests as the original question status and I have not found a built-in solution for this.

Anyhow, we have made a 'workaround' for this by using automation - whenever a new issue is created (request type = emailed request) automatically close the issue and leave a comment that points the user/requester to use the JSM portal/help center, together with the link to the portal.

This was actually really adopted by all of our clients that wanted to transition from using emails to using JSM and it proved to be quite efficient as well.

Shaun B - CIS January 19, 2024

I wish this would be marked as the accepted solution as this is the only option that worked for us as well.

Like Akpaniko Schenk likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Marini Marini
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2022

Hi @Sebastian Delmastro 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

I believe the functionality that you are looking for is built-in features in JSM (Jira Service Management) (previously known as JSD (Jira Service Desk)).

To disable any requests created from your JSM email channel, you can go to Project Setting -> Email Requests. Click the triple dots on the top right of the page. Click "Disable all email requests". Then, all emails sent to your JSM email channel will be ignored.

Depending on your Notification Scheme configuration, the customer will receive a notification from Jira when, for example, an issue is updated. To add a comment to the issue, the customer can reply to the email notification directly, without a need to go to the JSM portal. The email body content will be added as a comment on the issue.

Additionally, if the customer would like to add a user as the participant of the ticket, the customer can add the user's email address to the "cc" of the email. Jira will automatically add the "cc" email addresses as the Request Participant of the issue.

For more info, please refer to https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

I hope the above answer helps!

Regards,

Marini

Sebastian Delmastro July 19, 2022

Thanks @Marini Marini  for your feedback.

One question, is you disable all email requests, in order for all emails sent to JSM email channel to be ignored. The replies to jira email notifications will be taken in as comments or not?

Thanks

Sebastian

Marini Marini
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2022

@Sebastian Delmastro 

The replies to the Jira email notification will still be taken in as a comment. This process is handled by Jira notification and it is not related to the JSM Emailed Request setting.

Like Sebastian Delmastro likes this
Sebastian Delmastro July 20, 2022

Thanks @Marini Marini !

REG23 October 4, 2022

I have just tested. Disabled Email request and after that client's email reply is not added as comment :( 
@Sebastian Delmastro does it work for you?

Marini Marini
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2022

Hi @REG23 

Check your site's JSM global setting https://<your-site>.atlassian.net/jira/settings/products/jira-service-management-configuration. Check if the setting for Email is "Yes, allow all emails that contain a valid issue key to be added as a comment to the issue". Then, try again.

Like Sebastian Delmastro likes this
Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2023

I did change this setting, and still was not receiving comments via customer's replies

Like Bruno Colin likes this
Jelle Boon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 22, 2023

We have the same functional request, our comments were not included too. 

Susanna Babayan February 1, 2024

Hello, one question about disabling email ticket creation: what would happen to the customer emails that they're sending to the project address to have tickets created (after disabling the email ticket creation)? Are they going to receive a message saying the address does not exist or nothing's gonna happen?

Like Jonna Ranbrandt likes this
Susanna Babayan February 6, 2024

re
ok so I got my answer: basically nothing happens, the email does still exist which means people contacting the email will not get an error message saying "this email does not exist", however, no issue is created and the emails are sent to "nowhere"

Henri Volk [amily] March 7, 2024

Has anybody confirmed if Marinis hint was working?`We also want:

• prohibit issue creation via email for external customers in JSM
  • allow replies to notifications of course to be added as customer events

Best, Henri

0 votes
Akriti Gupta
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2024

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events