• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Email Requests Not Showing the Original Sender as the Reporter

We have several support email addresses that are connected to Jira Service Management.  When customers email those addresses, a ticket is created.  The tickets have always listed the original sender (the customer) as the Reporter - but all of sudden the Reporter is now listed as our support email address, and the original sender (the customer) is not shown anywhere on the ticket.  Subsequent emails in the thread also show up as comments posted by the support email address instead of the actual sender.  We haven't changed any of our Settings.  Is this a bug?

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Jan 21, 2021

So JSM provides a single email channel. Are you saying you have some forwarding happening here where your support channels forward the incoming emails to the JSM email channel? If that is the case I would expect JSM to see the customer as the support-email address not the original from email address. Admittedly I have not tested this personally. 

Yes, exactly - we have multiple 'public' support emails that forward messages to our JSM email address to generate tickets.  Historically the original sender of the email has been designated as the 'Reporter' on the JSM ticket, and you could reply to them directly from the JSM ticket comments.  But lately the public support email address itself is being listed as the 'Reporter'. 

To be more specific, the support emails are being forwarded to JSM through Google Groups, and as I continue investigating this today I realize the problem may be on our customer's end.  They started using new company email addresses, and instead of being forwarded with their actual name, they now being forwarded as "Customer Name via Google Group Name" 

yes this would have to be handled outside of JSM. ultimately the "from" that JSM sees is the reporter.

here is another post on this - How-to-Capture-Original-Reporter-Information-on-Forwarded-Emails 

I encourage you to search further in the Community as you may very well find some breadcrumbs.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

196 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you