Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Requests Not Showing the Original Sender as the Reporter

Travis Wolf January 21, 2021

We have several support email addresses that are connected to Jira Service Management.  When customers email those addresses, a ticket is created.  The tickets have always listed the original sender (the customer) as the Reporter - but all of sudden the Reporter is now listed as our support email address, and the original sender (the customer) is not shown anywhere on the ticket.  Subsequent emails in the thread also show up as comments posted by the support email address instead of the actual sender.  We haven't changed any of our Settings.  Is this a bug?

2 answers

0 votes

These articles seem to describe the problem, but I don't understand the solution with regard to 'DMARC' policy

https://support.google.com/a/thread/12457235?hl=en

https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/62737/why-does-google-change-my-from-header-to-have-via-me-in-it

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

So JSM provides a single email channel. Are you saying you have some forwarding happening here where your support channels forward the incoming emails to the JSM email channel? If that is the case I would expect JSM to see the customer as the support-email address not the original from email address. Admittedly I have not tested this personally. 

Yes, exactly - we have multiple 'public' support emails that forward messages to our JSM email address to generate tickets.  Historically the original sender of the email has been designated as the 'Reporter' on the JSM ticket, and you could reply to them directly from the JSM ticket comments.  But lately the public support email address itself is being listed as the 'Reporter'. 

To be more specific, the support emails are being forwarded to JSM through Google Groups, and as I continue investigating this today I realize the problem may be on our customer's end.  They started using new company email addresses, and instead of being forwarded with their actual name, they now being forwarded as "Customer Name via Google Group Name" 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

yes this would have to be handled outside of JSM. ultimately the "from" that JSM sees is the reporter.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

here is another post on this - How-to-Capture-Original-Reporter-Information-on-Forwarded-Emails 

I encourage you to search further in the Community as you may very well find some breadcrumbs.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events