Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Request Type Automation in Team-Managed Project

Jakob Kristoffersen January 20, 2022

Hi Jira community,

I have a team-managed project which currently only takes incoming requests via email. I have a number of different request types with different workflows purpose built for specific request types. I would like to make an automation so when an agent chooses a specific transition in the default email request type, it will initiate a Jira automation which changes the default email request type into a specified request type with a workflow purpose built for that task. 

When I'm using the "Edit request type" function in the Automation section, I'm getting the following error message: The request type couldn't be edited, because the chosen request type isn't based on this issue type.

It doesn't seem like team-managed projects have issue types (only request types), so should that be understood as the "Edit request type" automation doesn't work for team-managed projects?

And if it's the case that the "Edit request type" is not applicable to team-managed projects, why does it appear in the automation section of a team-managed project?

Thank you,

Best regards

Jakob

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2022

Hello @Jakob Kristoffersen,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

On team-managed projects, the Request types and Issue types are basically the same thing, they are already linked, differently from the company-managed projects.

In this case, on the automation, instead of using the Edit request type action, you need to use the Edit issue action and change the Issue type.

Note that, since you mentioned that workflows are different, it may cause issues. That's why when changing the request type/issue type of an issue manually, it opens the Move action.

Using REST API the issue type can be change when workflows are completely different  

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 18.59.50.png

Kind regards,
Angélica

Jakob Kristoffersen January 25, 2022

Hi @Angélica Luz 

Thank you very much for the response. That solution was exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards

Jakob

Like Angélica Luz likes this
0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2022

Hi. I wonder if I am doing anything wrong here ... I add the Edit Issue action and set the issue type. BUT that sets the Request type to None. Please advise? Thank you

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2022

Hello @Yatish Madhav,

The steps I mentioned are for team-managed projects where the Issue type and Request type are linked by default.

On team-managed projects, the Request type will never be empty due to that.

If the Request type is empty on your tickets, it means that you are using a company-managed project, so in this case, it will be necessary to use the action "Edit request type" on the automation.

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events