Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earlier i am able to see the option All subtasks needs to be closed before closing the main task

Sreenadh April 5, 2023

Hi,

Earlier i am able to see the option All subtasks needs to be closed before closing the main task.

Please find the attached SS.

4.PNG

5.PNG

Now i am not able to see that message next to the status

6.PNG

3 answers

0 votes
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2023

Hi @Sreenadh @Trudy Claspill 

I'm not sure why the message chooses to appear or not, however I did know what the message meant which why I knew there was a condition in place.

Based on your screenshot, if you clicked the transition drop down, I presume that  "Cancelled" isn't an option because the sub-tasks don't meet the conditions to allow the transition.

I think @Trudy Claspill is on the right path though. I think the message isn't appearing due to other transitions coming off "New" status that have different conditions. The message may only appears if that is the ONLY option.

E.g. When in "In Production" Status, if the only transition available is "Close" with the sub-tasks as a condition, then the message will likely show.

However, if there are two transitions available, One to "In Development" with no sub-tasks condition, and one to "Close" with a condition, then I think the message probably wouldn't show.

It would be confusing to say all Sub-tasks need to be closed if you are trying to move a ticket back to Development phase right? Hope this makes sense

Suzi

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023

I tested this theory with a Software project, and it did not prove true.

I created a simple workflow:

To Do > In Progress > Done

There were no global transitions.

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 4.59.59 PM.png

I added the Subtasks condition to the transition between In Progress and Done.

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 5.01.01 PM.png

I had an issue with Subtasks that were not done. When it was in the In Progress status there were no transitions available and the "subtasks must be closed" message was not displayed below the status button.

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 5.01.42 PM.png

I did not try this with a Service project, though I note this post is in the Jira Service Management/Questions community. I suppose it could be possible that the behavior might be different in a Service Management project.

0 votes
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2023

Hi @Sreenadh 

The condition in a workflow only prevents the status to be shown when the condition dont matc. 

If any condition is fail the status simply does not show to the user. 

That being said, its possible that you were using a validator instead of a condition when trying to move the status to In production. 

To be able to help you here, we do need you to paste your screen shot from all the properties and all transitions to the status "In production". 

As soon as you provide the screenshots we can try to get anymore help from Atlassian. 

Waiting on

Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Hi @Sreenadh 

any feedback for us? 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2023

Does the Workflow applied to issue SDP-1661 have the same Condition in it?

Sreenadh April 5, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for your response.

yes same condition i have given but still I’m not able to see that text. Which I’m expecting currently 

Thanks,

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2023

Hello @Sreenadh 

The first image you showed that does show the message is for an issue in the status "In Production". The workflow image that you posted is for a transition from the status "New".

Can you show us the workflow transition information for the "In Production" starting status?

Sreenadh April 5, 2023

Hi,

Please find the attached SS.1.PNG

Earlier it is working fine but now i am not able to see that message.

Can you provide how to achieve the same.

Thanks,

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2023

Unfortunately no, I can't tell you how to achieve that. I have never seen that message displayed in my system, but also have not used the Subtasks condition. If I now add the Subtasks condition, in my system I don't see that message.

I've not found any documentation that indicates that using the Subtasks condition would cause that message to display.

Other Community Leaders I've consulted say that the message was not caused by the Subtask condition. 

I did find this post where you previously asked how to make that message display, where @Suzi Firth advised you that adding the Subtasks condition would cause the message. Perhaps Suzi has more insights on how they knew the Subtasks condition would cause the message to display, and why it no longer does. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events