Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPIC End date and EPic closure Automatically

Shipra Nirola February 18, 2021

Hi All,

We are looking in to refining our current Jira process and one of the work that we want to work upon in introducing Epic END Date in the process workflow.

Currently we don't track Epic End date, can it be tracked by introducing a custom field?

Also would like to setup something like once all of the stories/tasks are Done, EPIC is automatically set to 'DONE' and Epic End date is updated as well for the same date.

Can someone please help me with that. I have limited knowledge on JIRA Post functions 7 programming isn't my skill so looking for some urgent help here.

Thanks

Shipra

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

you could certainly add a custom date field and use Automation to set the Epic Status to DONE and the custom date field when all underlying issues are resolved. there is an automation rule in the library for closing the Epic when all issues are done. You could use this and add the action to set the date field.

557591DE-DBD6-47DC-A7EF-DF74E54F9C53.jpeg

Thanks @Jack Brickey , I see these rules under my library . Would that one with parent and sub-task work . We don't have subtasks under epics. This is what we have atm:

Epic has:

--Story/Tasks

Story/Task has:

-- Sub-task

--QA-subtask

Here is how rules look like:

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

Based on your original post I would suggest the one I indicated in my image.  Ultimately it depends on your process. For example if your team works on sub-tasks if they exist and not the parent then you could auto close the parent story when all sub-tasks are done using Automation and similarly close the Epic once all associated children stories are done.

Sorry, My image wasn't uploaded before. I don't have the same option that you shared in my JIRA. Is there anything missing or Am in looking at the wrong location @Jack Brickey 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

unsure. you will find the library as follows...

1. click on Project settings in your project
  2. click on Automation
  3. click on Library

2021-02-18_08-52-23.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events