Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate notifications when reporter is also in a cc'd mailing list

chadd November 3, 2020

I'm using a Next-Gen Jira Service Desk project, and when a user reports an issue via email, and they also cc a mailing list of which they are a member, they receive duplicate notifications on updates.

I found this article about troubleshooting notifications and this exact problem is listed there, but with no offered solutions:

Check the notification scheme to see if it contains a mailing list - if it uses a mailing list and another notification item such as Assignee, and the assignee is also within the mailing list, JIRA applications are not able to identify the users of the mailing list and will end up sending duplicate notifications.

It is a pretty common situation for a person to cc their team to give them access to the ticket and notifications, so we'd really like to solve this.

Here's a list of things we've tried that did not work:

1. We tried JEMH.  It has the same limitation, plus it costs money, produces uglier emails by default, and is bewildering to setup
  2. We've written our own tools to sync groups/lists from gsuite to Jira, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to assign a Jira group as Request Participants
  3. We created a Jira Automation that replaces the mailing list with the complete list of Jira users any time the Request Participants field is updated.  I thought this was a sure solution, but unfortunately there is a race condition between the Automation thread and the notification thread, and the Automations don't always complete before the notification is sent, thus the mailing list is often still used.

I understand that the root of the problem is that the mailing list membership is unknown to Jira: it doesn't know that the reporter is also a member and thus it just blindly sends notifications to the reporter and all the mailing lists in Request Participant. 

Is there any plan to add deeper integration of gsuite into Jira?  I saw that Atlassian Access has gsuite sync, but syncing groups to Jira is not enough - the Jira mail handler needs to know which mailing lists correspond to groups and then do the right thing. 

Are there any other solutions to this problem?

0 answers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events