Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distinguish between system name and showed name for custom fields

AccessHolding August 28, 2018

Dear Community,

Maybe I am the only one with this issue. Everytime I create an custom field I add the project ID and the related issue type to the name. For example: ASD: Bank HG - Cost Center. Jira allows us to customize this showed name for each issue type (customer view) but I can´t customize the name for agents.

Each user / customer could see Cost Center, as soon as I rename the field for them but for the agent view the field is still ASD: Bank HG - Cost Center.

How do you guys handling this behaviour?

Best,

Kristian 

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2018

Hi @AccessHolding

You can not change it. 

But your question raises another question. 

If you have multiple cost centers, do you really create a new field for every project/issuetype? 

Every extra field that you use puts extra strain on your server and soon you would need more resources to keep it running. 

Best practice is: Always try to reuse existing fields and therefor use more common names like "Cost center" instead of what you are using now. 

Regards

Dave

Hi @Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_,

Thanks for hint. Yes you are right it will really consum more ressources but I dont see other solution. Each Bank for example has own costcenters which I need to preconfigure in a selected list. Thats mainly why I cant reuse several fields. :/

But thanks anyway.

Best,

Kristian

Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2018

Hi,

I understand that this field is a select list. Correct? 

You can add multiple configurations for 1 field depending on project/issuetype

In your administration go to "Custom fields" find the field that you need and click the cog icon followed by "configure" 

Here you can add new contexts 

Regards

Dave

Like Chrisjir Parkin likes this

Thanks @Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_ I was not aware of this.

Chrisjir Parkin November 12, 2020

I was doing the same thing, creating separate fields for each instance of a generic field because I didn't realize that the select list could be tailored per-project or per-issuetype.  That ought to be tip #1 in the list of things-to-know-before-you-start-configuring Jira.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2018

Hello,

As far as I know, you can not change display name of a custom field in Jira (Service Desk Agent's view).

Thanks @Alexey Matveev.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events