Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Mail as "attached email" not as "Attachment"

Michael Zimmermann February 3, 2023

Hello all,

I am using the "create issues from mails" feature.

The original mails contain some non important text and the important stuff is attached as .eml file. When creating an issue from this kind of mail, the attachment is being actually attached to the issue. So far so good. But when looking at the eml file, there is a lot of header stuff going on, when in fact, the agents want to see the mail as they do in outlook.

image.png

I noticed a coworker is using Jira Cloud Addon for Outlook, which creates also tickets from mails when triggered. The mail is being attached in another way, which makes it far more easy for agents to work on the issues.

image.png

Is there any way to achieve something like the second example by just sending mails with an attachment to the connected mailbox in Jira? I was also thinking about using Powerautomate to achieve the wanted behavior, but I couldn't find the option to add attachments.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2023

Hmm.  That's not how the email channel works.  When you send an email to the service desk project, it reads the email and converts the body into the description and the subject into the summary of the email.  As do the email handlers for non-service desk projects.  They do not attach the email to the issues.  They also import a priority, reporter and other people copied in into user fields, and will attach files attached to the email to the issue.

So you must have installed an app or automation that imports the emails as simple attachments.  It might be worth looking into that app to see if it can do more, like read the emails like the built-in handlers can.

The attached eml is a simple attachment, you've not configured any reading of the email.  So all the metadata around the content is embedded in the eml file as well.

Personally, I would turn off whatever processing app you have, and go back to using the built-in email channel, it sounds like it does what you need without the need for automation or scripts.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events