Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing and adding a java plugin

DeYan June 1, 2022

Good day everyone!

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use java to develop plugins for Jira Atlassian Cloud and in what form they can be uploaded to the server.
I read the documentation and the forum, but did not find a specific answer.

Also, does anyone know if event listeners work in Jira Atlassian Cloud. If not, what options for replacing them are possible other than webhook?

I will be very glad for any information)))

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes and no.  This is quite a complicated answer because you need to understand a bit about the underlying architecture and what an app really is.

It's easier to start with server, as a cmparison point.  Server applications are written in Java, so yes, you would write your app in Java (or related languages like Groovy or Scala if you implement a bit of support for them).  Your app is then uploaded on to the server, and loaded and run by Jira (or Confluence, Bitbucket, Crowd, etc)

Cloud has a different plugin framework.  We can't write Server apps and install them on Cloud.  Only Atlassian can install that type of app, and they mostly don't.

A Cloud app installation is actually not a lot more than a descriptor for a (very limited) set of changes, or, more frequently, a link back to a service running on someone else's systems..

So, technically, you can write apps that can be "installed" on Cloud in any language you want.  But they'll be running on your hardware, and talking to Cloud over its REST interface, not actually running on Atlassian's servers.

Your best option for writing for Cloud is to completely ignore what server does and start again.  The current framework Atlassian has is "Forge", so I wouldn't bother with the older options, just get stuck in at https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/forge/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events