Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Destination status could not be resolved... Error is seen whenever i apply a rule from the library

Arham Sohail August 22, 2022

"Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status)"

I created a simple rule stating if all subtasks are done mark parent as done but I am experiencing the mentioned issue. I have checked the workflow it includes all the statuses I am changing, I am the automation actor but I am not the JIRA admin I am the Project lead. Is it related to Admin access or its something else? kindly help

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2022

This error can be caused by two other things, and when it is that, the error message is misleading - 

@Dirk Ronsmans check on will establish one case where there are conditions blocking the transition (but I'd actually expect a "conditions not met" warning in that case)

The other one gives you the misleading message that the status id is not valid, when it actually means "there is no transition from the current status to the requested one".

Can you check that there is actually a transition linking the two?  (And check if there any conditions). 

An "all" transition does count here - automation and all the "transition issue" scripts that work off a target status ID rather than the transition id I know will use an "all" transition if they find one.

Arham Sohail August 23, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thanks for the response, how can i exactly check if the transition is linking the two? I am using the rule from jira automation library & i haven't added any conditions.

After the transition is done I am adding a comment on the parent issue that I am marking this as to be done(PFA screenshots). The comment is being added but the transition from backlog to done is not being done.

https://jmp.sh/qwV5reI

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Look at the workflow.

An Automation can not transition an issue to a new status if there is no transition between them in the workflow, or there are blocking conditions on the transition (not automation conditions, workflow conditions)

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2022

Hey @Arham Sohail and welcome to the community!

As long as the automation actor (being you) is able to do it manually the permissions should be fine.

Best practice is to use the Automation for Jira user tho as it often has more rights/permissions.

As you applied the rule from the library a good thing is also to re-select the statusses in your automation rule. Behind the name of the status there is an internal id as well. If that is different than the one from the library (which probably is the case) it would set the correct one.

Also make sure that the transition between the current status and the one you need to go to exists and you are able to transition manually

Arham Sohail August 22, 2022

Hey, @Dirk Ronsmans thank you for the response. 

Sure will ask my admin and will try with the total admin rights too. I have tried with the reselecting statuses in the rule fix and still experiencing the same issue. As far as the transition is concerned I am changing statuses according to the workflow. Below is my manual transition & attached is the workflow: 

Backlog>Ready for Dev>In Progress>Ready for QA>In QA>Done

https://jmp.sh/ydRqfmG

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2022

And the transition to Done is that an All transition? (the screenshot cuts of right there)

Could you maybe share the automation itself? 

Sorry for the inconvenience, yep Done after In Qa is in my workflow. Please find the required Screenshots.

Done Workflow: https://jmp.sh/N8vfypj 

Automation Rule: https://jmp.sh/HcZRq3B (When Parent done mark all subtasks as done)

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

I'm a bit confused here. 

In your initial question you said the requirement was to move the Parent to Done when the Subtasks are all Done.

However in the rule details you are trying to set all the Sub-tasks to Done when the Parent is Done (so the other way around)?

If so, then you should need to look at the workflow of your subtask to see if you can actually move to Done from where you are

Apologies for sending you a screenshot of my other rule. So I made 2 rules and both of them are facing the same issue which I mentioned at the start of this thread. Workflows for both tasks & subtasks are same as shared.

Here are my rules:

1. Mark done all subtasks if a parent is marked done

2. Mark parent done if all subtasks are marked done

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events