Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date field and Automation

Andy T July 8, 2024

Hi,

New to jira and automation. I created a simple form with few fields that I want to send the value in an email using automation.

I can send all the values fine except for 2 fields. Date and long text (paragraph).

The email comes fine but the values are empty. The audit log is fine too.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong as the email arrives fine and all other values populate fine except for the 2 fields (date, address which is long text /paragraph)

this is what I have in the content of the email automation

Name: {{issue.name}}

Date:  {{issue.date}}

Title: {{issue.title}}

Address:  {{issue.address}

it is driving me crazy :-)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2024

Hello @Andy T 

Please show us images of the complete Automation Rule.

Are Date and Address fields in the issue or fields in the form? Can you show us the issue details view where data for these fields has been populated? I just want to see the fields names in the issue details view; the field content can be obscured.

Andy T July 8, 2024

Thanks Trudy. the fields are in the issue and not in the form. Here are the screenshots of the simple issue and the automation

auto.JPGforms.JPG

Andy T July 8, 2024

here is how the email shows up. Only the date is not showing now

email.JPG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2024

Hello @Andy T 

Thank you for that additional information.

Smart values can be case sensitive and space sensitive. I recommend you try using issue.Date rather than issue.date.

Additionally Automation Rules can see some field references as ambiguous because Jira allows multiple fields to have identical names. You may need to reference the Date field by its custom field id instead; i.e. customfield_12345

You can find the ID for the field by following the guidance here:

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/

When you ask an Automation Rule to use a smart value it can't resolve it may "fail silently". If it can't resolve the smart value to get an actual value, depending on the context in which you are using the smart value the Automation may just say the value is null rather than telling you it can't resolve the smart value reference.

Like Andy T likes this
Andy T July 9, 2024

Thanks again. I ended up looking up the IDs for the form fields and this worked.

Cheers

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events