• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Customize Severity levels when creating a Major Incident

In the "Create a major incident" form that can be opened from a JIRA Service Management ticket, there is a Severity field that can be set to Sev 0/1/2/3.  However, our organization uses a different Severity scheme, and even though I've updated the Severity field's values in JIRA settings (and they are reflected everywhere else in JIRA), it doesn't seem to affect this form.  Is there a way to configure the Severity levels in this drop-down?

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 5.52.32 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes

Severity is not a standard issue field in Jira. 

One of your admins has added a custom field for it.  You'll need to talk to your admins about setting up different options for it.

I have already updated the Severity custom field with different values, and it displays these values in every other screen in JIRA (including JIRA Service Management tickets).  The only screen where it doesn't reflect the same values is in this "Create a Major Incident" form.

For reference, this is what this field looks like elsewhere (such as on the right rail of a Service Management ticket):

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 9.02.56 PM.png

That means you have set up either two different severity fields or two "contexts" for a single severity field with the contexts containing different lists of options.

You've then used one context or field for your "major incidents", and the other for all the other issue types and requests.  You may also have done this by using a Next-gen project for the service desk your major incidents are in - you can add independent fields with different lists in Next-gen projects.

So, check the project type first, if it's next-gen, descend into the config of the issue type behind "major incident" and edit the optiosn list, if it's a classic project, go to the list of custom fields and look for the severity, whether there are two, or two contexts for a single one.

Thank you for the suggestion (I didn't think of checking the contexts before), but I confirmed that I have only one Severity field and one context for that field.

I suspect that form just uses it's own built-in value list (or another predefined set of values from OpsGenie that can't be updated, similar to the Priority field).  That's ok for now, it's not a blocker and we can work around it.

Thanks again for the suggestions and helping to look into it, I appreciate it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

163 views 0 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you