Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize Severity levels when creating a Major Incident

Jackie Yeung January 6, 2021

In the "Create a major incident" form that can be opened from a JIRA Service Management ticket, there is a Severity field that can be set to Sev 0/1/2/3.  However, our organization uses a different Severity scheme, and even though I've updated the Severity field's values in JIRA settings (and they are reflected everywhere else in JIRA), it doesn't seem to affect this form.  Is there a way to configure the Severity levels in this drop-down?

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 5.52.32 PM.png

2 answers

0 votes
Natalya Ozhigova November 30, 2021

Hi all,

Could you please tell me if it is possible to hide field severity from the screen  "create a major incident"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

You will need to talk to your admins - they can change the fields that appear on a screen.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Good advice but  I'm the admin and it was the first thing that I tried to do but I couldn't find the screen. I'll very much appreciate it if you can tell me where I can find it. 

The field Severity isn't used on my [System] Incident issue type and it seems these fields don't depend on fields of [System] Incident issue type at all. So it looks like some system screen, which nobody can view and edit.  But perhaps someone is also faced with it and finds the workaround.

thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

Ok, no problem.

There are two places you might want to remove it from though.  Service Management projects hold issues, the same as Work Management and Software projects, but they can have customer-facing requests as well (the customers create requests, the fields they fill in go towards the creation of the issue that your internal people will be working with)

• If you want to remove the field from the requests, then go to "Request types" and find the one(s) you want to remove it from.  Click on the name (or names in turn) to get to a screen where you can add and remove fields from the request.  This will leave the field on the issue though, for agents to use.
  • If you want it gone completely, then look instead to the "screens"
    • this will give you a list of all the issue types in the project and what "screen scheme" they are using.  You'll need to check all of these in turn for each issue type you want to change.
    • A screen scheme, in turn can name 1-4 screens, used for various actions - view, create, edit and "default" (the one to use when you don't name something for view, create or edit)
    • You can delete the field from each screen 

Be warned though - screen schemes and screens are shared objects - you should check that they are not being used by projects that do not want the changes you are going to make

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  I think you don't know what we are telling here.

The major incident is not a request type. There is integration with Opsgenie in a new Service project. You can create a new service project (ITSM template for example) and then create an issue of [System] Incident issue type and then in the issue, you see the button "Create major incident". When you press it you'll see the screen from the picture in the first post. And if you create a major incident you can process it in Opsgenie.

And actually, the screen looks universal for all projects. I made a test on one cloud instance and deleted the field "severity" at all and what do you think? In the screen of creation a major incident it stays. I think we can't influence the fields on the screen at all.  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2021

I never said it was the request type.  Nor did I mention Opsgenie (because it's got no relevance to the fields you choose to have on your requests, although it does, of course, use them)

What you are asking for here is to remove a field from a screen.  The screen in use is determined by the choice of request, and the config steps I've given get you to the screen so you can remove it.

There's not a lot more to it.  

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2021

Severity is not a standard issue field in Jira. 

One of your admins has added a custom field for it.  You'll need to talk to your admins about setting up different options for it.

Jackie Yeung January 6, 2021

I have already updated the Severity custom field with different values, and it displays these values in every other screen in JIRA (including JIRA Service Management tickets).  The only screen where it doesn't reflect the same values is in this "Create a Major Incident" form.

For reference, this is what this field looks like elsewhere (such as on the right rail of a Service Management ticket):

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 9.02.56 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2021

That means you have set up either two different severity fields or two "contexts" for a single severity field with the contexts containing different lists of options.

You've then used one context or field for your "major incidents", and the other for all the other issue types and requests.  You may also have done this by using a Next-gen project for the service desk your major incidents are in - you can add independent fields with different lists in Next-gen projects.

So, check the project type first, if it's next-gen, descend into the config of the issue type behind "major incident" and edit the optiosn list, if it's a classic project, go to the list of custom fields and look for the severity, whether there are two, or two contexts for a single one.

Jackie Yeung January 9, 2021

Thank you for the suggestion (I didn't think of checking the contexts before), but I confirmed that I have only one Severity field and one context for that field.

I suspect that form just uses it's own built-in value list (or another predefined set of values from OpsGenie that can't be updated, similar to the Priority field).  That's ok for now, it's not a blocker and we can work around it.

Thanks again for the suggestions and helping to look into it, I appreciate it.

erich2048 December 27, 2021

I am also trying to customize the options presented on the "Major Incident Form" which is presented by OpsGenie.  This does not appear to be a standard form for any issues, and, in fact, the "Severity" is created and persisted as an "extra property" in OpsGenie.   As such, it seems like after the OpsGenie "Major Incident" has been created (and is linked back to the Jira Service management incident), the property value for the severity in OpsGenie could really be changed to anything I want.

So, the question remains, are the Severity option values presented int the "Create Major Incident" form all hard-coded, or could I configure them to be something else, to better match the severity values we use in the Jira Service Management side of things?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2021

This question was about Jira, not Opsgenie.  I suggest you ask this question separately, in the Opsgenie area, so that you get more eyes on it!

erich2048 December 27, 2021

I have re-posted this question in the OpsGenie questions area.  Looking back at the original question, I do think that the original question is not specifically about Jira, since this particular dialog / form in question is a transitional element between Jira Service Management and OpsGenie, so it's not clear which forum would have the ability to answer.  

Here's the link to the newly-posted question:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Opsgenie-questions/In-the-quot-Create-Major-Incident-quot-dialog-can-the-severity/qaq-p/1896582#M2883

Like Natalya Ozhigova likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events