Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer responses to resolved ticket is not re-opening

Rob Green November 27, 2020

Hi all, 

Apologies for the novice question here, but I have just started using Jira Service Management and have noticed that when a ticket is marked as "resolved" and a customer responds to that resolved ticket email with further issues, the ticket is not showing up in my open tickets, nor is it automatically returning to "in progress" state. 

I have tried searching the community, and I see mentions of "post functions" that may help, but I can't see this in the workflow settings at all. 

Any assistance would be appreciated! 

Thanks

Rob

2 answers

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2020

Hi @Rob Green,

Never mind and welcome to the community. There is indeed quite a bit under the hood to get everything in place just the way you want it.

There's a couple of things you need to get this reopening functionality to work:

• your workflow must allow a transition (a path) from resolved status to an open status in the first place;
  • you need an automation rule to trigger that transition when a customer comments on that ticket OR you can enable the transition on the customer portal as a button

The workflow transition

The tickets in your service management project are all associated with a workflow. Every ticket has a certain issue type, which in turn is associated with a corresponding workflow in your project. You can find what workflow is linked to each issue type through Project Settings > Workflows.

Locate the workflow associated with your type of tickets and make sure there is a transition available to reopen the ticket. In the example below, this is the Reopen issue transition:

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 15.06.15.png

In case there is no transition from resolved back to another status, you will need to add one before you can actually use it. Have a look at Jira workflow documentation to learn more about how you can configure this.

Adding the transition to the portal

Edit your workflow in diagram view and select the transition you want to use to reopen the ticket. Tick the box Show transition in the customer portal. A dialog will appear asking you what resolution should be set. For this case, select to clear the resolution.

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 15.10.10.png

This is not an answer to your question, as this setting does not respond to a customer adding a comment. But it does allow to let the customer decide if he wants to reopen or not. Reopening on comment will make your ticket reopen when the customer just adds a "thank you for your support" message as well.

Automation to transition on comment

In Project Settings > Automation you can add an automation rule to automatically perform the transition from a comment. That rule can look something like this and is created by selecting the desired triggers, conditions and actions:

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 15.16.41.png

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Evan Cooper June 13, 2023

Cool that I can set up a bunch of transitions and automations, but this should really be the default behavior - for instance, in ZenDesk if a user responds to a resolved ticket, it automatically creates a new follow up ticket that actually shows up in active queues. Allowing responses to a ticket that doesn't cause it to show up in any queues makes no sense.  

So it's nice that I can pick up a quick MIT engineering degree and set up a bunch of transitions and automations to make the product do what it absolutely should do by default, but this is pretty weak UX here, y'all. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events