Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer replies to ticket emails not appearing in ticket

Alexander Senior September 17, 2021

We're using JSM for our quality management system, with myself as the primary user. I've discovered that user replies to the emails the desk sends out aren't being recorded in the tickets. E.g. I use "Reply to customer" to make a response to the user, the user receives the email with the response and replies to the email, that reply never gets to JSM. The reply does contain the ticket number (a user sent a reply to the email and cc'd my work email address) so that shoudn't be the problem.

Poking around in the project settings, I noticed Email Requests had not been enabled. I tried to "Turn on email support" but got the following error message: "Unable to create new mail channel due to connection duplication. Provided mail connection definition is currently used by another mail channel."

Screenshot:

JSM email support error.png

I ... have no idea what that means, or if that's the root cause of the issue. Any advice?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2021

Hello @Alexander Senior,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Checking the logs of your site, it returns the same error from the UI with no further information: 

Failed to turn on e-mail. AnError{httpStatusCode=400, errorCode=none(), message=''Unable to create new mail channel due to connection duplication. Provided mail connection definition is currently used by another mail channel.''}   

Was your site migrated from Server to Cloud or Cloud to Cloud?

Is there any other Jira Service Management project?

If not, could you please create one to test if the mail channel can be enabled?

Also, was there any service project deleted/moved to trash?

When enabling the mail channel, it will automatically create a Cloud email address containing the project key or support@domain.atlassian.net, so I’m wondering if maybe there were another project that was deleted or moved to trash that is using the same email address.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Alexander Senior September 20, 2021

Hi Angélica, thanks for looking into this. I'll answer your questions below, but thanks to your reply the problem's been resolved!

We have a pure cloud service that was never migrated from server, and we've never migrated from cloud.
There are currently two other JSM projects, one (project code PT) created a while ago and a test one I created after I discovered this error. Both have email channels set up (the PT has both the support@domain.atlassian.net email plus one hooked up to our company email domain; and the test one has test@domain.atlassian.net) and the test project email is working.
There are no other projects in trash, and while there may have been others they've been permanently deleted.
Based on your reply I changed the PT email to product-support@domain.atlassian.com and I was able to create the email channel for the QMS project, which defaulted to support@domain... . I changed that to qms-support@..., and it looks like both the email requests and emailed replies to tickets are working now!

I'm glad the issue has been fixed, but is this expected behaviour i.e. one project with support@domain will block all future project email channels until you change the original project's address?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2021

Hi Alexander,

I’m glad that it was resolved!

It shouldn't be like that. When a Service project is created, the default email address will always be support@domain.atlassian.net and then, if a new one is created, the email will contain the project key, for example, it@domain.atlassian.net

If the email channel of the project is disabled, it will free the “support” and the next project you create, or if you disable and enable the email channel of an exiting project, it will be set as support@domain.atlassian.net.

I wasn’t able to replicate the issue here. When disabling one email channel and enabling another, it worked correctly and it’s also not possible to rename the email address using an existing one, it shows an error. 

I found some similar cases and there was a duplicated email in the database and then our support renamed it.

If there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

Alexander Senior September 21, 2021

Thanks Angélica, we should be good to go for now.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
2 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

Ηι @Alexander Senior ,

Can you show me the request types you have created? This problem you are presenting here, usually happened in the server version of Jira. Quite awkward to on the cloud version.

Did you remove any request type mail channel and try to add new one?

Thanks for the reply Alex. Here are the request types:

request types.png

As far as I can remember I haven't touched any request type mail channels for this project.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

Thanx for the ss @Alexander Senior! So far, so good. You have already one request type that is connect to the mail channel.

• Can you also provide a ss of your "Email Requests" via project settings?
  • And after sharing this, can you please tell me what do you mean by "turning on" email requests?
  • The user who's replying on your ticket, is he/she a customer on your JSM project?

Hi Alex, here's the screenshot of the Email Requests page:

email requests.png

By turning on, I mean clicking on the "Turn on email support" in the screenshot above.

This problem has happened to at least two people in the company. They are users of our Jira Software instance, and customers of JSM in that they are not admins or agents of JSM.

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

It's strange because usually when you create a JSM project the email support is always on. That's why you have a request type named "emailed request". What I would suggest for you to do is to

• delete the "emailed request" request type
  • Turn on email support
  • create the request type from scratch

See if that will resolve the problem.

Thanks Alex, I don't recall turning off email support and I wouldn't have any reason to, though I guess it might be possible.

I deleted the emailed request type:

request types 2.png

and tried to turn on email support but got the same error unfortunately:

JSM error take 2.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

It's strange.. and that's because

• I disabled my email request
  • I deleted my email request type
  • When I tried to turned on the email request, there was this message

messageER.png

And I couldn't turn it on. On your instance there is no such message after you delete the request type?

No, tried again just now and got the same error I saw before. I haven't seen the message you posted.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events