Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer replies to service desk notifications no longer create comments on the request

Ufuk Fakioglu May 17, 2021

Our JSD on cloud used to add customer replies to notifications as comments to the request. However this stopped working with no obvious reason.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2021

Hi @Ufuk Fakioglu

from your screenshot it looks like the Jira "Core" mailhandler is used - in case you are indeed using a Jira Service Management project there is a different approach using "email channels".

In case I interpreted the screenshots right and you are not yet using "email channels" it would be an idea to use this approach.

In case you want to have a look I will link the documentation:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/receive-requests-from-an-email-address/

Regards,
Daniel

Ufuk Fakioglu May 23, 2021

Thank you very much @Daniel Ebers 

Please note I don't want to use email to receive customer service desk requests. Therefore I don't use email as a channel for service desk projects.

I only want the basic Jira functionality, whereby an email sent to jira@pyksys.atlassian.net gets added as a comment to a Jira issue, whether Service Desk or Core or Software, if there is an issue key in the subject line.

This actually used to work until very recently. But stopped working for Service Desk projects for some reason. It still works for Core or Software projects.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2021

You could try to remove the existing mail handler (noting down the settings) and insert it again. However, the email channel can do for you exactly what you requested - but I also see your point when you say it worked in a proper way in the past.

Ufuk Fakioglu July 12, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers ,

Apologies I could not respond earlier.

I tried removing the mail handler and adding it again. I can comment on any issue I want (service desk or other) when I send an email from my Jira user email address.

However when I send the email from my service desk customer email address, it doesn't work. It looks like comments from emails stopped working for service desk customers. All of a sudden...

Would you have any idea why I have two incoming mail servers:

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 20.53.16.png

Could this be related?

Many thanks,

Ufuk

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2021

Perhaps - there could be a relation to the issues you are seeing.
Has this been an import of data from a difference instance (f.e. Jira Server) previously?

Ufuk Fakioglu July 12, 2021

No. We have always used the Cloud. I raised a ticket with Atlassian. Let's see what they have to say.

0 votes

Thank you very much for your response @Mohamed Adel 

Actually I did not change anything related to Incoming Mail Servers and here is how it looks at the moment:

image.png

Does anything look suspicious?

Many thanks,

Ufuk

Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2021

You are welcome @Ufuk Fakioglu  

are you sure then that you are replying from the same email and the reply doesn't create new request ? 

Yes, I make sure I reply from the same email and no, no new requests are created. Actually I started investigating after I noticed that no comments were created although a customer replied to notifications.

🙁

Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2021

The only problem i can see and make no sense that you have 2 incoming email server . other than that i see no problem 

Ufuk Fakioglu May 18, 2021

Thanks a lot @Mohamed Adel Yes that made me suspicious too. I will raise this with Atlassian Support.

I also noticed the senderEmail in the mail handler - I don't know what this field does but can it be restricting senders except this email?

Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2021

Hi @Ufuk Fakioglu ,

senderEmail is the email that atlassian use to send emails to your site users . i don't think it has any problem in your case as this is a default setting. 

Thank you very much @Mohamed Adel 

I think I was able to narrow down (actually, back to the title of the post): As a company user, I can comment on issues via email. However, when a service desk customer replies, their emails do not turn into comments.

So email handling seems to work but for internal users only and not customers.

This used to work.

I checked the permissions and could not see anything wrong - customers have the permission to comment on issues. Also, as I said, this used to work.

Any clues?

Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2021

@Ufuk Fakiogluinteresting to reach this stage

are you sure your customer has comment permission in the relevant permission scheme comment.PNG

Yes dear:

image.png

Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2021

are you sure these customer account verified (they can login to portal) and are service project customer ?

Yes :( 

I also signed up on the portal using my personal email. Created a request and replied to the notification. But no comment was created. I tested many different scenarios.

0 votes
Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2021

@Ufuk Fakioglu  

Did you change anything related to the Incoming Mail Servers 
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.13.59 PM.png

Sorry I meant to reply but it looks like I created an answer below :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events