Customer permissions on projects

Theis Joergensen December 6, 2021

Hi Community, 

I need your guidance in on a permission topic. 

We have a scenario where different employees from a customer organisation have a Jira license and have "internal" access to some of our projects. 

Now i have started a new project, where i only want them to access and communicate via the customer portal. 

With this setup, do you think there are other things i need to consider? Or can i trust that as long as they're not in the people menu, they will not be able to open the project even if having a Jira license?

Also i wonder if the permission helper works for customer users?

I tried the permissions helper, searching for a specific user who commented on a specific incident. When i add the user, ticket number and add comments, the permission helper stated that this permission did not have the permission. However, the person added a comment 30 prior. 

Thanks

Theis

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2021

Hey @Theis Joergensen, I'd say don't trust, test it. As a site admin, you can log in as the user and ensure permissions are set correctly.

If your project has the default Jira service management permission scheme, adding the user to the Service Desk Customer project role should be sufficient.

I tried the permissions helper myself, but it's misleading for "customers" in some cases. Under permission helper, expand the "show failed conditions," which will give you more details on why–list of missing roles, for example. You can ensure the proper permissions by inspecting the "Service Project Customer - Portal Access" in the permission scheme, customers' permissions and users added as a customer to your project.

Theis Joergensen December 9, 2021

Hi @Ivan Lima

Thanks a lot for you feedback, it makes sense. 

0 votes
Irina_Bel_Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 12, 2022

Hi @Theis Joergensen ,

The Customer Case for Jira app also allows creating a forum for specific organizations limiting users who can access it by email or domain. Each project can have different restrictions. A forum also can be public (when all external customers can see the list of all issues) and a private one (when customers communicate with a support assistant privately). There are also no limits for agents unlike in Jira SM.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events