Custom field selection list update

Lisa T_ May 13, 2023

Can someone confirm my suspicion about this: The choices in a custom field created with type of "select list (single choice)" or "select list (multiple choice)" CANNOT be updated/added to once the field is created?

If it can be done can someone please tell me how because I'm not finding a way to do it.  I'm on JSM Cloud.

If it cannot be done I really want to know why Atlassian can't let us do this with a custom field.

Trying to find documentation on this hasn't been easy.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Charly [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2023

Hi @Lisa T_ 

I'm not sure what you mean, if you click on the 3 dots option next to your field (custom field administration) you will have an option called "Contexts and default values", there you can edit the field options you already have and add new ones if you need to.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/edit-a-custom-fields-options/

Maybe I'm missing something.

Regards

Lisa T_ May 13, 2023

@Charly [DEISER]Thanks for your reply!  I guess that's it.  Unfortunately I wouldn't have though editing a field's selection list would be under "Contexts and default values" but under "Edit field".  I don't find that an intuitive choice.

Thanks for the link also.  I don't know what search phrase you used to search the documentation, but even a search with "custom field" showed that page almost near the bottom... I didn't scroll that far down :-)

Cheers

Charly [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2023

Glad I was able to help. I agree, it's not intuitive ;-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2023

Yep, it's a historical thing though - "edit field" refers to editing a field "header" - the thing that hooks it into Jira projects and issue types. 

Different types of fields have different configuration settings, including contexts, so they needed another name for them.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events