Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating knowledge base articles from JSD service tickets

Debra Graham September 1, 2020

My company uses Confluence to create a knowledge base; we are now about to roll out Jira Service Desk and link it to our knowledge base space.  As far as I can determine, only two templates are available from Jira Service Desk--the How To and the Troubleshooting templates.  

Is there a way to make other templates available from Jira Service Desk?  

I am also wondering whether JSD can be set to access a space template versus a global template.  

Is there any documentation regarding these two questions?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2020

Hi Debra,

Anyone with space admin access to the knowledge base can create additional templates in the space.

Additionally, these new templates can be "promoted" so that they appear at the top of the list, and any global templates are only displayed when the "Show more" link is selected.

Based on the general documentation here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/write-and-share-knowledge-base-articles/, my guess is that you will either need a separate Confluence license, or work with a Confluence admin to have additional templates created. While I have both products, I am an administrator for each which allows me to administer the Confluence KB space for a JSD project. It does not appear that a JSD project owner or technician has the permissions to do this.

If this answers your question please consider marking the answer as Accepted, as this will help others find the solution in the future!

Darryl

@Darryl St_ Pierre-- thanks for your reply but no cigar.

In response:  I am an admin for the Confluence site but not for the Jira Service Desk.  I can create new templates and promote them on the Confluence side.  That's not the problem.  My question is regarding the Jira Service Desk side:

Can I make the templates I created in Confluence accessible to a support person to use from Jira Service Desk?

For example, a support person is responding to a Jira ticket and decides they want to create an FAQ article for the Confluence knowledge base about the issue raised in the Jira ticket.  Can they access and use the FAQ template that I created directly from Jira Service Desk?  I don't think they can.  

From what I have read (e.g., Write and search for knowledge base articles) and from talking to our support people (we haven't actually rolled out Jira Service Desk, yet so they are pretty new to this), you only have two templates to choose from when creating a knowledge base article FROM Jira Service Desk.  

My thinking is also based on experience.  When I asked a support person to create an article from Jira Service Desk, the only two templates that were presented were the How To and Troubleshooting templates.  The other templates that I have created in Confluence were not available.

Like Darryl St_ Pierre likes this
Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2020

Sorry about that @Debra Graham

I'll leave this for others to respond, though you've piqued my curiosity. I'm going to look into this some more myself. If I come up with anything helpful I'll add a response.

Like Debra Graham likes this

I wish documentation would be more explicit about what can't be done, so it doesn't leave you wondering.  

Tom Hudgins March 28, 2022

Based on this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-460

It (still) can't be done.

Like maguialahmar likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events