Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating filtered dropdowns for asset fields with Assets/Insight?

Chris Covert December 1, 2022

Hi,

I have an Assets CMDB in Jira.

We have following hierarchy:

Customer (entity containing customer contact information, etc)

---Asset (entity containing licensing information, etc)

---Tenant (network server, etc with detailed information, etc)

I am creating service management forms for opening incident tickets, service requests, etc.

I would like to make it so that when someone chooses a customer from the insight customer field - it only populates with child assets of that customer in the assets field. When clicking on an item in the assets field it only populates the Tenant field with only Tenants that are children to the Asset.

Would these be accomplished in the filter issue scope(AQL): area of this screen?

using the contexts and default field configuration screen.

filter issue scope : objjecttype = "asset"
filter issue scope : ???

This might work but also raises concern what happens if you click on assets but have don't have a value yet for customer field, etc?

Thank You

Chris

1 answer

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2022

Yes, filter scope will do this for you. Have a look at the announcement about it here, it has a good example.

And regarding your concern if someone tries to bypass one of the fields, all that happens is that no results will be shown. Here is an example from our peripheral request, if you do not select the location you will not get any results back:

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 2.08.45 PM.png 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2022

And once you select a value in the parent field the filtered scope field will return results:

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 2.15.15 PM.png

Chris Covert December 15, 2022

Hi @Mikael Sandberg 

I looked at the examples provided, I still am not certain on the syntax because the examples what the syntax is on custom fields.

the insight custom fields in JIRA are these and the hierarchy is configured in Assets/Insight.

Customer

--Tenant

I have found some examples (few and far between) out there but they are very specific and hard to follow their reference point: making reference to customfield____12345, etc
I can't find that example again but the reference to the custom field seemed to indicate there is the friendy name like "Tenant" but an unerlying technical name to be used for IQL.

What would the IQL look like for the second drop down to only provide the tenants of the customer? 

Are there resources on the internet which shows how to work with the IQL?

Thank You

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2022

So the customfield_XXXXX is used because that will never change, but you can change the name of the field, and the field name is not unique so you could end up in a situation were you have two fields with the same name. By using the customfield_XXXXX you avoid getting nothing returned in that case.

Here is an example of how I use it. For our peripheral requests that I mentioned above we have different catalogs depending on your location. The configuration for peripherals looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 8.29.50 AM.png

The filter scope excludes Location because location and peripherals are within the same Object schema. The attribute Catalog in Assets is linked to Location object, and on the request form I have a custom field called Location that is liked to those objects.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events